From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-04-06 15:28, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:20:11 -0400 (EDT), Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> But what would I be looking for?
>
> You would be looking for DHCP-related packets that would
> identify the length of the DHCP lease. I've never used wireshark;
> I only know conceptually the kinds of things it can do; so if you
> need specific help in this area, someone else will have to help you.

Wireshark (and tshark, it's CLI brother) is really handy about
decoding packets into human-readable form. Combine that with "grep
-iv" to filter out what you don't want to see.

My concern is that, since the upstream dhcpd sends the lease info at
the moment of negotiation, you'd need to start tshark *before* pon
and I don't know if tshark will see the new interface and start
capturing on it.

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:52:25 -0400 (EDT), Ron Johnson wrote:

> My concern is that, since the upstream dhcpd sends the lease info at
> the moment of negotiation, you'd need to start tshark *before* pon
> and I don't know if tshark will see the new interface and start
> capturing on it.

Good point. I don't know either.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 13:26:14 -0400 (EDT), Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>> Stephen Powell wrote:

This is a graphical representation of the problem:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/84c672ef-50e8-446e-9560-4c4316ae68e9/do_sysup_201004

Hugo