From: Hugo Vanwoerkom on
Freeman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 12:06:51PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a dialup modem.
>>
>> Pppconfig configured the connection with 'nameservers dynamic'.
>>
>> /etc/ppp/resolv.conf always contains:
>>
>> nameserver 148.240.118.40
>> nameserver 189.209.208.181
>>
>> although the timestamp on the file changes with each connection:
>>
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53 2010-04-03 11:00 resolv.conf
>>
>> Now the problem:
>>
>> Several times a day internet communication stops and all that
>> appears on the status bar of iceweasel is 'Looking up xxxx' where
>> xxxx is the site that was being displayed.
>>
>> This is only resolved when you take down the ppp0 interface and
>> bring it back up, redialling the ISP.
>>
>> And the same nameservers appear in resolv.conf.
>>
>> Can anyone explain this behavior? And what to do about it?
>>
>> BTW it again happened at 11:00 as you can see.
>>

> Always start with the simplest explanation that works.
>
> Your dialup provider, your phone company or your phone line periodically
> drops you.

But if it dropped me I would see a SIGHUP in syslog and I don't. I can
still ping the IP that was assigned to me.

Hugo

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 10:42:49 -0500
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601(a)care2.com> wrote:

> But if it dropped me I would see a SIGHUP in syslog and I don't. I
> can still ping the IP that was assigned to me.
>
> Hugo

You can always ping the IP assigned to you from your OWN PC. At the
times you cannot resolve any domains, can you ping external IPs ? such
as 8.8.8.8 (google DNS).

Mihira.

On 2010-04-04 10:26, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
[snip]

> But we run Linux. The ISP will say it's my problem for running Linux.

Fib.

(I'd write "lie", but there are too many ESLs on the list who might
think it means "lay down"...)

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

John Hasler wrote:
> Run Pppconfig and enable either "Persist" or "Demand".

But then it would dial again after SIGHUP and I know that works. I am
trying to find out why I cannot dig anything anymore but still ping my
own IP.

Hugo

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Wayne wrote:
>> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a dialup modem.
<--- SNIP --->

> They work now because I can 'dig www.google.com' and get 216.239.32.10
> and then 'host 216.239.32.10' and get
>
> Name: ns1.google.com
> Address: 216.239.32.10
>
> How did you get Montevideo UY and Mexico for the nameservers?
> >>>
>>> Pppconfig configured the connection with 'nameservers dynamic'.
>>>
>>> /etc/ppp/resolv.conf always contains:
>>>
>>> nameserver 148.240.118.40
>>> nameserver 189.209.208.181
>>
>> Don't know. Have you contacted your ISP to see of they are correct?
>> DNS servers are usually under the ISP's address range.
>>
>> They look strange to me as the first one is in Montevideo UY and the
>> next is in Mexico. But I do not know how they do DNS in SA

whois 148.240.118.40

whois 189.209.208.181

Wayne

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last