From: Hugo Vanwoerkom on
Mihira Fernando wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:00:52 -0500
> Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601(a)care2.com> wrote:
>
>> I can now host 8.8.8.8 and get google-public-dns-a.google.com
>> I can dig google-public-dns-a.google.com and get
>> google-public-dns-a.google.com. 86283 IN A 8.8.8.8
>>
>> But when I ping 8.8.8.8 I get no response even though I can resolve
>> domains.
>>
>> firewall is off.
>
> There must be a firewall somewhere down the line as google's public DNS
> on 8.8.8.8 is a pingable IP (At least, I can ping it from here).
>
> Can you ping any external address at all ?
> google.com for example.

No.
And my firewall is down.

Hugo

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> CamaleĆ³n wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 12:06:51 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>
>>> I have a dialup modem.
>>>
>>> Pppconfig configured the connection with 'nameservers dynamic'.
>>
>> Is there any chance you could setup pppconfig to use "static
>> nameservers"? If yes, choose that and set the nameservers you want
>> (openDNS or Google ones should be fine for testing purposes).
>>
>> After that, if you still experience the name lookup "lag" problem,
>> then you cannot blame the dns servers... just your ISP :-)
>>

> Let me try that.
> I'll report back.

It still happens with static nameservers of Google and OpenDNS.
It's the ISP

Hugo

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 17:12:32 -0400 (EDT), Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> It still happens with static nameservers of Google and OpenDNS.
> It's the ISP

This is sounding more and more like an expired DHCP lease.
You really need to investigate this, as I suggested earlier.

ISPs really don't want dial-up users to be connected very long.
They want them to get in, read their e-mail, and get out,
especially if they are paying a flat fee for unlimited access.
In the "old days" before TCP/IP, i.e. traditional async dial-up
access to an on-line service provider, such as AOL, Compuserve,
Prodigy, etc., they would just hang up on you after so long.
Now they have a sneakier way of doing it. They give you
a short DHCP lease and no renewals. DHCP lease time varies from
ISP to ISP. Generally, the less you pay per month, the shorter
the DHCP lease time. They force *you* to hang up on *them*.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

Stephen Powell writes:
> They give you a short DHCP lease and no renewals. DHCP lease time
> varies from ISP to ISP. Generally, the less you pay per month, the
> shorter the DHCP lease time. They force *you* to hang up on *them*.

Dial on demand makes this fairly easy to deal with.
--
John Hasler

Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 17:12:32 -0400 (EDT), Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> It still happens with static nameservers of Google and OpenDNS.
>> It's the ISP
>
> This is sounding more and more like an expired DHCP lease.
> You really need to investigate this, as I suggested earlier.
>
> ISPs really don't want dial-up users to be connected very long.
> They want them to get in, read their e-mail, and get out,
> especially if they are paying a flat fee for unlimited access.
> In the "old days" before TCP/IP, i.e. traditional async dial-up
> access to an on-line service provider, such as AOL, Compuserve,
> Prodigy, etc., they would just hang up on you after so long.
> Now they have a sneakier way of doing it. They give you
> a short DHCP lease and no renewals. DHCP lease time varies from
> ISP to ISP. Generally, the less you pay per month, the shorter
> the DHCP lease time. They force *you* to hang up on *them*.

But if it was an expired DHCP lease wouldn't the 'looking up' problem
always happen after the same time period expired from connect?

Hugo

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: ALSA problem? ...SOLVED