From: Carlos on
Alsenor,
So you do have Acronis.
Can it accomplish the shrinking thingie?
Carlos

From: Kue2 on
Use the bootable media disk.

From: Alsenor on
That is the one I tried to use, but failed.
It works on my wife's W7 Ultimate, but not on my Home Premium.

From: Alsenor on
Well, it doesn't work on my machine (not compatible, it says!).

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Alsenor.

Well, the Golden Rule of dual-booting is, as Charlie said, to always install
the newest OS last. But since you don't want to erase your hard drive and
start over, you'll need to first "break" Win7's dual-boot start-up by
installing WinXP, and then run Win7's Repair utility to fix the damage.

Since Win7 was pre-installed on your new, virgin computer, you probably have
a small 100 MB partition - with NO drive letter - at the very beginning of
your hard disk drive. (This arrangement is a new feature of Win7.) Then
you have - or you originally had - a single partition called Drive C: with
Win7 installed and a lot of free space. The Graphical View of Disk
Management should show both these partitions on your Disk 0. You haven't
given us any numbers so we don't know how big your HDD is or how much free
space you have. Is this correct, so far?

On the Disk Management screen, note especially the Status column in the top
area. I expect that the System label is on that unlettered partition and
that the Boot label is on Drive C:. Still correct?

Then right-click on Drive C: and choose Shrink volume. Win7 probably takes
up something less than 20 GB as originally installed, but it GROWS!! So, if
you have plenty of hard drive space, leave it with at least 30 GB or even 40
GB. (My Win7 Ultimate x64 Drive C: is 60 GB, with 25 GB still free after
about 6 months of use.) Then, still using Disk Management, right-click in
the Free space and Create a volume for WinXP. Since WinXP is much smaller
and does not grow as fast, 20 GB should be more than enough. You will want
to create one or more additional volumes in the free space, but there's no
hurry for this; you can do it after both Win7 and WinXP are installed and
working, or do it now.

Then boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and install WinXP into that second
partition. But remember, no matter where Windows (whether Win2K/XP/Vista or
Win7) Setup installs Windows, Setup will ALWAYS write the < 1 MB of startup
files into the System Partition. Typically that has always been Drive C:,
but with Win7, that new unlettered partition is the System Partition and
THAT's where you should expect to see WinXP's startup files (NTLDR,
NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini), alongside Win7's start-up files (bootmgr and the
contents of the \Boot folder); all these files are Hidden and System, by
default. If they are NOT in that hidden partition, please post back and
tell us what you see.

Now, you should be able to boot into WinXP, but not into Win7. Insert the
Win7 DVD and boot from it. Choose to Repair the boot files. Win7 Setup
should re-create the multi-boot menu, giving you the option to boot Win7 or
the "Previous version of Windows". When you choose "previous", Win7's
bootmgr will step out of the way and turn over control to NTLDR, etc., so
they can boot WinXP.

I haven't actually done this, Alsenor, so tread carefully. I haven't run
WinXP in over 3 years now, although I did keep a copy in a volume on one of
my HDDs until last week - when that HDD died and will have to be replaced
under warranty. I'm just glad that Win7 is on a different drive that is
still good.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA