From: Alsenor on
Thank you for your detailed advice!
My main problem is that my new HP PC came installed with W7, but without
install CD.
I am hesitant to wipe out my factory OS, for fear of not being able to
reinstall it.
It came with a 640 GB HDD, which I partitioned into 4 parts, but it won't
let me shrink the C partition into less than 300 GB, which is a big waste
for the W7 OS only.
If I could, I would have the slimmest W7 on C, then a second partition of 20
gigs for XP, and the rest in two partitions for APPS and DOCS.
That would make it easy to make image backups onto my old 80 GB external
drives, without having to worry about reinstalling APPS when needed for a
new drive.

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Alsenor.

> My main problem is that my new HP PC came installed with W7, but without
> install CD.

I'm hoping that someone who actually has such a PC will chime in and confirm
that the recovery partition on that machine will let you reinstall Win7
after you've wrecked its startup files by installing an older Windows over
it. I THINK you will be able to do that - but, as I said, I've never had a
PC with a pre-installed OS, so I'm only guessing.

Have you asked HP about this?

RC

From: Richard on
Alsenor,

I have a new HP Pavilion dv7t-3000 Notebook. Like yours, my computer did not
come with recovery disks. In my case, the recovery files are located on D:
and I have also had to recover the system back to factory settings due to my
"playing around" trying to "force" a non-compatible application
installation. The recovery process works fine. Go ahead and use it. Assuming
that your can boot your system to the C: drive, search for "recovery
manager" at the "start menu". While my problem did not involve resizing or
creating partitions, it did set everything back to the original factory
settings.

Preferably before, but definitely after you completely restore the factory
settings, make a set of "recovery disks". You do this by searching from the
"start menu" for "recovery disc creation". This creates, in my case "3 DVD"
disks which are a copy of the recovery partition "D". That way, if you
decide to delete and reformat "D", you still have a copy of the factory
settings. Also if, for some reason, you can't boot from "C", you can boot
from these discs and restore your system. NOTE: The recovery disks ARE NOT
the same thing as a Windows 7 rescue disc. I haven't used the "rescue disc"
yet so I'm not exactly sure of its function. I just know that they are not
the same.

I also recommend that you check your BIOS boot order to ensure that it
allows booting from a CD/DVD first, and the internal HD second. During my
recovery, I noticed that the order was reversed. I assume that was one of
HP's great moves.

As an aside, I would like to point out a couple of additional things.

1. HP will not support your desire to have a "dual boot" system. Based on
my experience with them, they won't even understand what you are trying to
do and will insist that you recover your system back to "factory settings"
in order to receive support. Also I recommend an allocation of a lot of
phone time and the use of Filipino and/or Indian interpreters. HP Support
may speak English, but that doesn't mean that they understand it. Working
with them requires a llllllllloooooooooootttttttttt of patience.

2. Which version of Windows 7 do you have? If you have either
"Professional or Ultimate" you could install the XP Virtual Mode, which
would allow you to run XP from within Windows 7. Search Microsoft's website
on the XP Mode details. Also individuals in this newsgroup can probably be
of assistance. Unfortunately, I have not utilized that ability due to lack
of need at this time. "That's shorthand for chicken" :)

It sounds like you have a few hours attempting do accomplish what you
trying. You'll lose all of that, but at least if you recover back to factory
settings, you'll be back "neat and clean" at square one.
--
Thank You,
Richard

From: Alsenor on
Yes, RC, that is what I was hoping for as well.
I haven't consulted with HP support yet, because I know they don't support
my plans of dual booting.

From: Alsenor on
Richard, it seems my D partition contains the same, however called "factory
image".
It has 11.04 GB.
When I saw that I felt relieved that this may be the same as the "factory
reset" option on the Vista rescue CDs I had.
My only concern is that I may not be able to boot up at all, in which case
it would be of no use.
I had a previous machine, identical to the current one, which refused ANY
kind of booting attempt or repair, after I had been "playing around" with
partitioning, and trying to install XP Pro.
I finally had to take it back and get a new one, but don't want to repeat
the same mistake.
Some of the problems seem to stem from my attempts to restore from backup
partitions that were not the same size as the one I wanted to restore to.

I wonder if one could make a bootable copy of that D partition, and use that
as the last resort of rescue?
Your pointer to the "recovery disc creation" may actually BE that solution -
I suspect it is exactly what I was looking for.
Do you agree?

The version my box came with is the "Home Premium". I also have an
"Ultimate" (of questionable origin), which works fine on my wife's machine,
in dual boot mode with XP.
If I install that version I may lose some of the HP proprietary stuff they
installed on the machine, but may gain the "XP Virtual Mode", eliminating
the need for a dual boot.
I should try some apps on the other machine to make sure that virtual stuff
actually works in W 7.

Richard, et al, I really appreciate the help and thorough advice!

Al.