From: Alsenor on
Can anyone give me a solid guide to creating a multi-boot drive?
I have partitioned my HD and would like to choose between W 7 and XP.

From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
Install XP first. Then Install Win7 as a New Install, (custom) not an
upgrade. It will create the necessary settings to enable dual boot.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

From: Alsenor on
Charlie, I bought a new HP with W7 installed. Unfortunately they don't give
you an installation CD with it any longer, nor does a home made "rescue CD"
include the "factory reset" option we had in Vista.
So I am a bit hesitant to abandon my original installation!
All I dared do so far was create a few partitions via "godmode", but even
that doesn't look exactly he way I want it.
I want to make the partitions just large enough to hold the 2 operating
systems, and use the rest of the space for "apps" and "docs" partitions.
However, although the C partition (where W7 resides) is more than 88% free
space, it doesn't let me shrink it to less than 300 GB. Why?
I even ran a chkdsk on it, which made no difference.
I appreciate your help!
Al.

From: Carlos on
Alsenor,
Defragment your partition C: before trying to shrink it.
There may be at least a piece of a file near the "outer" boundaries (close
to the 300GB) that needs to be relocated by defrag, closer to the beginning
of the partition.
Once the partition is defragged (packed more densely) there should be more
room for defragging.
Carlos
P.S.: I don't recommend installing XP after 7 because XP destroys its boot
loader.
It is risky, it can be fixed, but definitely not a practice for the normal
user.

From: Alsenor on
Yes, I did defrag it as well, thinking of that reason.
Then I ran the chkdsk.
Still wants to be 300 GB!