From: Carlos Williams on
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Richard Hector <richard(a)walnut.gen.nz> wrote:
> It's just another (very simple) MTA. I don't see that installing that
> would do anything that installing Postfix doesn't. It's the usual
> suggestion for those who claim not to want an MTA at all.
>
> Richard

Oh I see. I just tested it and regardless what MTA you install post
install, I am left with tons of useless lingering Exim4 files and
directories. Doesn't look to be any way around this...at least when
using Debian.

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 19:32 -0500, Carlos Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I use nullmailer in these situations
> >
> > +1
> > Installing nullmailer will remove exim for you.
>
> I am sorry but I don't understand what you mean by 'install
> nullmailer'. Is this something I install before I begin the 'netinst'
> installation of Squeeze on my server? Is there an article that will
> help me achieve this?

It's just another (very simple) MTA. I don't see that installing that
would do anything that installing Postfix doesn't. It's the usual
suggestion for those who claim not to want an MTA at all.

Richard

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 3/1/2010 2:28 PM:

> Postfix works well in the Debian environment, or so I'm told.

Very well indeed. I've been using it for years and the only real problem
I've run into was the lack of a syslog socket in the chroot. That was fixed
with Lenny/2.5.5. I've no experience with it myself, but IIRC there may be
issues running Postfix multi-instance on Debian.

>> it auto removes Exim4 however still leaves all the
>> orphaned files and junk.*
>
> I'm not convinced this is a statement of fact, but depending on how the
> installer does things it could be accurate.

Take this for what it's worth: On my "Swiss Army Knife" server, I installed
Sarge fresh in 2006 using a compact net install from boot floppies. After
the base install was complete, I installed Postfix via apt-get. I don't
recall doing any manual removal of Exim. I've upgraded the system in place
all the way to Lenny, over a 4 year period.

I currently have the following related to Exim:

~$ locate exim
/etc/cron.d/exim
/etc/cron.daily/exim
/etc/init.d/exim
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim
/etc/rc0.d/K20exim
/etc/rc1.d/K20exim
/etc/rc4.d/S20exim
/etc/rc5.d/S20exim
/etc/rc6.d/K20exim
/usr/share/doc/postgrey/README.exim
/usr/share/wwwconfig-common/exim-trust.sh
/var/cache/apt/archives/exim_3.36-18.2_i386.deb
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.postrm
/var/log/exim
/var/run/exim

--
Stan

In <4B8C7C66.6070109(a)hardwarefreak.com>, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>> it auto removes Exim4 however still leaves all the
>>> orphaned files and junk.*
>>
>> I'm not convinced this is a statement of fact, but depending on how the
>> installer does things it could be accurate.
>
>Take this for what it's worth: On my "Swiss Army Knife" server, I installed
>Sarge fresh in 2006 using a compact net install from boot floppies. After
>the base install was complete, I installed Postfix via apt-get. I don't
>recall doing any manual removal of Exim. I've upgraded the system in place
>all the way to Lenny, over a 4 year period.
>
>I currently have the following related to Exim:
>
>~$ locate exim
>/etc/cron.d/exim
>/etc/cron.daily/exim
>/etc/init.d/exim
>/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim
>/etc/rc0.d/K20exim
>/etc/rc1.d/K20exim
>/etc/rc4.d/S20exim
>/etc/rc5.d/S20exim
>/etc/rc6.d/K20exim
>/usr/share/doc/postgrey/README.exim
>/usr/share/wwwconfig-common/exim-trust.sh
>/var/cache/apt/archives/exim_3.36-18.2_i386.deb
>/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.list
>/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.postrm
>/var/log/exim
>/var/run/exim

Most of those should be cleaned up by a purge of all the exim packages. In
particular all the init scripts, the dpkg data, and probably the cron jobs.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Stan Hoeppner on
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 3/2/2010 1:21 AM:

>>> I'm not convinced this is a statement of fact, but depending on how the
>>> installer does things it could be accurate.
>>
>> Take this for what it's worth: On my "Swiss Army Knife" server, I installed
>> Sarge fresh in 2006 using a compact net install from boot floppies. After
>> the base install was complete, I installed Postfix via apt-get. I don't
>> recall doing any manual removal of Exim. I've upgraded the system in place
>> all the way to Lenny, over a 4 year period.
>>
>> I currently have the following related to Exim:
>>
>> ~$ locate exim
>> /etc/cron.d/exim
>> /etc/cron.daily/exim
>> /etc/init.d/exim
>> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim
>> /etc/rc0.d/K20exim
>> /etc/rc1.d/K20exim
>> /etc/rc4.d/S20exim
>> /etc/rc5.d/S20exim
>> /etc/rc6.d/K20exim
>> /usr/share/doc/postgrey/README.exim
>> /usr/share/wwwconfig-common/exim-trust.sh
>> /var/cache/apt/archives/exim_3.36-18.2_i386.deb
>> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.list
>> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.postrm
>> /var/log/exim
>> /var/run/exim
>
> Most of those should be cleaned up by a purge of all the exim packages. In
> particular all the init scripts, the dpkg data, and probably the cron jobs.

This is probably a result of me installing postfix without uninstalling exim
first. It's surprising that the apt scripts that installed postfix and
removed exim left all this other stuff which can't possibly work now without
that exim binary being present.

--
Stan