From: thib on
> You could always reinstall choosing the most basic system, [...]

I believe the base system (not the standard system task) pulled by the d-i
currently installs exim as a Recommends dependency to cron. Only way would
be preseeds or plain debootstrap, I think.

-thib

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 09:54:51 -0500, Carlos Williams <carloswill(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> /usr/share/vim/vim72/syntax/exim.vim

That's not an exim file - it's part of vim-runtime package.

> /var/cache/apt/archives/exim4-base_4.71-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/exim4-config_4.71-3_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/exim4-daemon-light_4.71-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/exim4_4.71-3_all.deb

Installation packages. Will be removed, if you run apt-get clean

> /var/log/exim4
> /var/log/exim4/mainlog

Logs are never removed by uninstalling packages.

--
Virgo P�rna
virgo.parna(a)mail.ee

Quoting Carlos Williams on 2010-03-02 09:28:13:
> I thought I was purging the package, no?
>
> #apt-get remove --purge exim4

As implied by Boyd in a sibling post, the package 'exim4' is what's
termed a metapackage, a package whose only role is to pull in other
packages via Depends. The package management toolchain doesn't assume
you also want to purge the packages exim4 depends on. As It Should Be,
IMHO.

You can see this easily if you have package 'debtags' installed. In the
description pane, you can see the package tags, one of which is
role::metapackage.

Probably the most succinct definition is in aptitude, actually. Start a
new debtags browser view, and select role::metapackage.

One of the References should have more information. I don't remember if
it's the user or developer reference though -- no net access as I write
this mail.

--
_ Brian Ryans 8B2A 54C4 E275 8CFD 8A7D 5D0B 0AD0 B014 C112 13D0 .
( ) ICQ UIN: 43190205 | Mail/MSN/Jabber: BrianLRyans(a)gmail.com ..:
From: Rogerio Luz Coelho on
Just do a

2010/3/3 Brian Ryans <brian.l.ryans(a)gmail.com>

> Quoting Carlos Williams on 2010-03-02 09:28:13:
> > I thought I was purging the package, no?
> >
> > #apt-get remove --purge exim4

I do this to purge exim4 and ev erything it stands for

# aptitude install xdm

;)

Rogerio
From: Celejar on
[Message rearranged.]

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 23:45:53 -0300
Rogerio Luz Coelho <rogluz.news(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/3/27 Rogerio Luz Coelho <rogluz.news(a)gmail.com>

> > I do this to purge exim4 and ev erything it stands for
> >
> > # aptitude install xdm
> >
> > ;)

> SORRY !!!
>
> It´s
>
> #aptitude install xmail ...

How will that purge anything related to exim?

Celejar