From: Lisi on
On Tuesday 02 March 2010 00:32:10 Carlos Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I use nullmailer in these situations
> >
> > +1
> > Installing nullmailer will remove exim for you.
>
> I am sorry but I don't understand what you mean by 'install
> nullmailer'. Is this something I install before I begin the 'netinst'
> installation of Squeeze on my server? Is there an article that will
> help me achieve this?

type
aptitude install nullmailer
in a root konsole. Press <enter>.
Lisi

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Lisi <lisi.reisz(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> type
> aptitude install nullmailer
> in a root konsole.  Press <enter>.
> Lisi

Yes I understand now but as I stated before that installing Postfix,
Sendmail, or any other alternative MTA has no impact on the real
problem at hand. What ever MTA you choose to install, APT auto removes
Exim but leaves tons of files and directories behind. For some this is
no big deal but when you're an OCD Linux administrator, any rogue or
orphaned files like this drive you crazy.

If you did any kind of install, Exim is installed and when you attempt
to install any alternative MTA, APT will auto remove Exim but leaves
you with clutter. Also if you decide to 1st manually remove Exim from
Debian using the '--purge' option, it still leaves behind all this
mess.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2010-03-02 14:17 +0100, Carlos Williams wrote:
>
>> Yes I understand now but as I stated before that installing Postfix,
>> Sendmail, or any other alternative MTA has no impact on the real
>> problem at hand. What ever MTA you choose to install, APT auto removes
>> Exim but leaves tons of files and directories behind. For some this is
>> no big deal but when you're an OCD Linux administrator, any rogue or
>> orphaned files like this drive you crazy.
>
> What does OCD mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCD

"Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder
characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce anxiety, by
repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by combinations of
such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions). "

--
Jordan Metzmeier

On 2010-03-02 14:17 +0100, Carlos Williams wrote:

> Yes I understand now but as I stated before that installing Postfix,
> Sendmail, or any other alternative MTA has no impact on the real
> problem at hand. What ever MTA you choose to install, APT auto removes
> Exim but leaves tons of files and directories behind. For some this is
> no big deal but when you're an OCD Linux administrator, any rogue or
> orphaned files like this drive you crazy.

What does OCD mean?

> If you did any kind of install, Exim is installed and when you attempt
> to install any alternative MTA, APT will auto remove Exim but leaves
> you with clutter. Also if you decide to 1st manually remove Exim from
> Debian using the '--purge' option, it still leaves behind all this
> mess.

Please elaborate. Which files are left?

Sven

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> Please elaborate.  Which files are left?
>
> Sven

If you remove Exim manually using apt-get --purge exim4 or if you
install an alternative MTA and the package manager uninstalls Exim,
either way you're left with this much mess & that doesn't include the
user accounts and groups:

root(a)mail:~# locate exim
/etc/cron.daily/exim4-base
/etc/default/exim4
/etc/init.d/exim4
/etc/logrotate.d/exim4-base
/etc/logrotate.d/exim4-paniclog
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim4
/etc/rc0.d/K01exim4
/etc/rc1.d/K01exim4
/etc/rc2.d/S02exim4
/etc/rc3.d/S02exim4
/etc/rc4.d/S02exim4
/etc/rc5.d/S02exim4
/etc/rc6.d/K01exim4
/usr/share/vim/vim72/syntax/exim.vim
/var/cache/apt/archives/exim4-base_4.71-3_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/exim4-config_4.71-3_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/exim4-daemon-light_4.71-3_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/exim4_4.71-3_all.deb
/var/lib/exim4
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-base.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-base.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-config.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-config.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-daemon-light.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-daemon-light.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4.postrm
/var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated
/var/lib/update-rc.d/exim4