From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
In <d80f793f1003020728q1c15a3bt33e7e780b3dc16c7(a)mail.gmail.com>, Carlos
Williams wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
><bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> It's nothing to do with the order your installed packages. It is the
>> difference between removed and purged. Confiles -- files where changes by
>> the local administrator are preserved when upgrading -- are kept after
>> removal. While this category covers files that are just configuration, it
>> also covers init scripts and cron jobs. Confiles are not deleted when the
>> program is removed -- so the configuration is preserved if this is just a
>> temporary removal (required for some complex upgrades). Confiles are
>> deleted when the package is purged.
>
>I thought I was purging the package, no?
>
>#apt-get remove --purge exim4

See my earlier reply on why this might not get all the exim files. Summary:
Most of the files aren't in a package called "exim4".

Use (aptitude search '~c') to see programs in the "Configured" state --
removed but not purged. Use (aptitude purge '~c') to remove those confiles.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Sven Joachim on
On 2010-03-02 15:54 +0100, Carlos Williams wrote:

> If you remove Exim manually using apt-get --purge exim4 or if you
> install an alternative MTA and the package manager uninstalls Exim,
> either way you're left with this much mess & that doesn't include the
> user accounts and groups:
>
> root(a)mail:~# locate exim
> [snip]
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-base.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-base.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-config.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-config.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-daemon-light.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-daemon-light.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4.postrm

Well, you did *not* purge the exim4 packages if these files exist.
Run "dpkg --purge exim4{,-base,-config,-daemon-light}" and see if
anything is left then.

Sven

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 09:54:51AM -0500, Carlos Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> > Please elaborate.  Which files are left?
> >
> > Sven
>
> If you remove Exim manually using apt-get --purge exim4 or if you
> install an alternative MTA and the package manager uninstalls Exim,
> either way you're left with this much mess & that doesn't include the
> user accounts and groups:

The command you ran was not apt-get --purge exim4 but (from your
original post) apt-get remove --purge exim4. Is there any chance apt-get
invoked remove and ignored purge?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279
From: Carlos Williams on
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm(a)cox.net> wrote:
> The command you ran was not apt-get --purge exim4 but (from your
> original post) apt-get remove --purge exim4. Is there any chance apt-get
> invoked remove and ignored purge?

I just got everything sorted out. If I run:

# apt-get remove --purge exim4*

This purges a bunch more. I think thats the best I am going to get on
Debian...until we have the choice to omit specific packages.

Carlos Williams writes:
> This purges a bunch more. I think thats the best I am going to get on
> Debian...until we have the choice to omit specific packages.

You do have that choice.
--
John Hasler