From: Carlos Williams on
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> It's nothing to do with the order your installed packages.  It is the
> difference between removed and purged.  Confiles -- files where changes by the
> local administrator are preserved when upgrading -- are kept after removal.
> While this category covers files that are just configuration, it also covers
> init scripts and cron jobs.  Confiles are not deleted when the program is
> removed -- so the configuration is preserved if this is just a temporary
> removal (required for some complex upgrades).  Confiles are deleted when the
> package is purged.

I thought I was purging the package, no?

#apt-get remove --purge exim4

> Files that are created by the program at run-time, like logs, databases, and
> documents aren't tracked by the package management system, so they must be
> deleted manually if you want to get rid of them.

Makes sense.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Stephen Powell on
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 09:54:51 -0500 (EST), Carlos Williams wrote:

> If you remove Exim manually using apt-get --purge exim4 or if you
> install an alternative MTA and the package manager uninstalls Exim,
> either way you're left with this much mess & that doesn't include the
> user accounts and groups:
>
> root(a)mail:~# locate exim
> /etc/cron.daily/exim4-base
> /etc/default/exim4
> /etc/init.d/exim4
> /etc/logrotate.d/exim4-base
> /etc/logrotate.d/exim4-paniclog
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim4
> /etc/rc0.d/K01exim4
> /etc/rc1.d/K01exim4
> /etc/rc2.d/S02exim4
> /etc/rc3.d/S02exim4
> /etc/rc4.d/S02exim4
> /etc/rc5.d/S02exim4
> /etc/rc6.d/K01exim4
> /usr/share/vim/vim72/syntax/exim.vim
> /var/cache/apt/archives/exim4-base_4.71-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/exim4-config_4.71-3_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/exim4-daemon-light_4.71-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/exim4_4.71-3_all.deb
> /var/lib/exim4
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-base.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-base.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-config.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-config.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-daemon-light.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-daemon-light.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4.postrm
> /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated
> /var/lib/update-rc.d/exim4
> /var/log/exim4
> /var/log/exim4/mainlog
> /var/run/exim4

Is the exim4 daemon still running? Try this (as root):

# /etc/init.d/exim4 stop
# aptitude purge exim4

Maybe there are files that can't be purged if the daemon is still running.

On Tuesday 02 March 2010 13:17:27 Carlos Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Lisi <lisi.reisz(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > type
> > aptitude install nullmailer
> > in a root konsole.  Press <enter>.
> > Lisi
>
> Yes I understand now but as I stated before that installing Postfix,
> Sendmail, or any other alternative MTA has no impact on the real
> problem at hand. What ever MTA you choose to install, APT auto removes
> Exim but leaves tons of files and directories behind. For some this is
> no big deal but when you're an OCD Linux administrator, any rogue or
> orphaned files like this drive you crazy.
>
> If you did any kind of install, Exim is installed and when you attempt
> to install any alternative MTA, APT will auto remove Exim but leaves
> you with clutter. Also if you decide to 1st manually remove Exim from
> Debian using the '--purge' option, it still leaves behind all this
> mess.

You could always reinstall choosing the most basic system, than carefully
choose only the applications you actually want ands install them one by one.
And you could do aptitude -s before actually installing anything, so things
won't get pulled in that you would rather not have! You ought then to be
able to have a system pure/clean enough to gladden the heart of the most C of
OCD Linux administrators. ;-)

Lisi

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 02:59:23PM -0500, Carlos Williams wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian (Testing) via 'netinst' disk and for
> some reason am completely unable to install Debian w/o Exim. It
> appears that Cron is a default package and depends on Exim. Does
> anyone know how I can completely omit this from a fresh Debian
> install? When I run:

It's been a while since I've used the installer (I preseed my installations at
the office), but isn't there a point in expert mode where you can select
individual packages? Could you select 'postfix' and unselect 'exim4' at that
point? Or is that after the base system install?

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students