From: Mike Bird on
On Mon May 10 2010 05:48:37 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> What does "copy files" do then? Describe to me what it does and I will
> see if Dolphin can do that, or if it is reasonable I will file a
> feature request.

Did you not know KDE has a builtin help system? Or are you trolling?

"Edit->Copy Files (F7)
Copy the selected item(s) to another folder."

--Mike Bird

Dotan Cohen schreef:

>>> In KDE 4.4.2 I have Edit -> Copy in both Dolphin and in Konqueror. Can
>>> you send to me a screenshot of your Edit menu? What KDE version?
>>>

>> hi dotan:
>>
>> that is not exactly what i mean: i was not clear enough: so another time:
>>
>> i mean in kde 3.5 in the same row as 'copy' under 'edit' the 'copy files'
>> possibility that i cannot find back in kde4.x.x
>> i'll look at exact the version of kde 4.x.x later. this version of kde 4.x.x
>> is on another (non-production) machine with os debian_sid, up to date.
>>
>> thanks for your answer,
>>
>> kind regards,
>>
>> steef
>>

> What does "copy files" do then? Describe to me what it does and I will
> see if Dolphin can do that, or if it is reasonable I will file a
> feature request.
See http://www.lorentz.leidenuniv.nl/~sjoerd/files/schermafdruk.png.
Translation of the popup-box: "copy selected files in /home/sjoerd to:"

Cheers!
Sjoerd

From: steef on
Sjoerd Hardeman schreef:
> Dotan Cohen schreef:

>>> hi dotan:
>>>
>>> that is not exactly what i mean: i was not clear enough: so another
>>> time:
>>>
>>> i mean in kde 3.5 in the same row as 'copy' under 'edit' the 'copy
>>> files'
>>> possibility that i cannot find back in kde4.x.x
>>> i'll look at exact the version of kde 4.x.x later. this version of
>>> kde 4.x.x
>>> is on another (non-production) machine with os debian_sid, up to date.
>>>
>>> thanks for your answer,
>>>
>>> kind regards,
>>>
>>> steef
>>>

>> What does "copy files" do then? Describe to me what it does and I will
>> see if Dolphin can do that, or if it is reasonable I will file a
>> feature request.
> See http://www.lorentz.leidenuniv.nl/~sjoerd/files/schermafdruk.png.
> Translation of the popup-box: "copy selected files in /home/sjoerd to:"
>
> Cheers!
> Sjoerd

thanks sjoerd,

steef

On 10 May 2010 16:08, Mike Bird <mgb-debian(a)yosemite.net> wrote:
> On Mon May 10 2010 05:48:37 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> What does "copy files" do then? Describe to me what it does and I will
>> see if Dolphin can do that, or if it is reasonable I will file a
>> feature request.
>
> Did you not know KDE has a builtin help system?

>From the fine manual that you refer to:
The Edit Menu
Edit->Undo (Ctrl+Z)
Undoes the last action performed by Dolphin.
Edit->Cut (Ctrl+X)
Cuts the currently selected item(s).
Edit->Copy (Ctrl+C)
Copies the currently selected item(s).
Edit->Paste Clipboard Contents... (Ctrl+V)
Pastes the currently copied/cut items to the current folder. If the
clipboard does not contain files or folders, the clipboard contents
(such as text or image data) will be pasted into a new file.
Edit->Select All (Ctrl+A)
Selects all files and folders in the current folder.
Edit->Invert Selection (Ctrl+Shift+A)
Selects all unselected items and deselects all selected items in the
current folder.

> Or are you trolling?

You keep using that word. I don't think that it means what you think it means.

> "Edit->Copy Files (F7)
> Copy the selected item(s) to another folder."

I can only assume that came from the KDE 3 manual, which I don't have
installed locally as I've stated that I am running KDE 4. Sure, I
could have stfw for it or installed KDE 3, but so could the parent
poster install KDE 4 and file his own bugs. I'm trying to help him, if
you haven't noticed, and your interference is not appreciated. I have
no problem with you looking for opportunities to attack me, but please
don't do that at Steef's expense.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

> See http://www.lorentz.leidenuniv.nl/~sjoerd/files/schermafdruk.png.
> Translation of the popup-box: "copy selected files in /home/sjoerd to:"

Here one would type the names of files that he wishes to copy? Does he
then perform a normal paste operation in the destination folder?

One _work_around_ if this is a critical feature would be to press F4
to open a terminal pane in Dolphin, then use the "cp" command as need.
They let the user type out the name of the files to be copied,
assuming that is the critical feature here. As a bonus you also have
tab-completion and "mv"!

If I'm missing the gist of the feature then please tell me what I'm
missing. It certainly doesn't look like a killer feature from what I
understand, but of course that is subjective. If it provides something
important I'll file a bug report.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com