From: Lisi on
I seem not to have forwarded this, although I forwarded the others. And
Dotan seems to have circulated it, but not to here. So, for completeness in
the thread, herewith:

Op 08-05-10 23:42, Lisi schreef:
> On Saturday 08 May 2010 20:35:47 consul tores wrote:
>>> Dotan Cohen
>>
>> Who are you in reality? Do you really think that i am going to obey your
>> orders?
>
> :-) Well said! And is there not a list rule that replies should go only to
> the list unless a copy is specifically requested? I find having these
> commands arriving in my personal (as opposed to list) folder a nuisance. I
> filter for a reason!
It is a list rule to reply only to list *unless asked otherwise*. In
this case, Dotan asks otherwise, so what's the problem.
Please, folks, manners!

Sjoerd

From: steef on
Dotan Cohen schreef:
>> No - that is the problem!! I loved KDE 3.5.x and have become quite slick with
>> it. KDE 4 is different. I don't like it. If I have to, in effect, change
>> DE, and go through the learning curve again, there is no reason why it would
>> have to be to KDE 4.
>>
> This is a very valid point that seems to be lost on some devs. Other
> than the logo, not much is the same between KDE 3 and 4. I will
> contend that moving to KDE 4 would be no different that moving to any
> other DE. You will notice that I've never pressured you to move to KDE
> 4, I have only pressured you to tell me what is problematic in KDE 4.
> I do that for the simple reason that I help improve KDE 4, and to
> bring it up to par with KDE 3. I do not think that any other desktop
> has the ambition to be what KDE 3 was.
>

>> When the time comes that I cannot sensibly go on using
>> KDE 3, I shall chose where I go next on the basis of what the options are
>> looking like at the time.
>>
> That is wise, and you might enjoy Gnome Shell, that will become Gnome
> 3. It is very different from KDE 3, but a lot of people really love
> it.
>

>> I can see little liklihood that that choice will
>> be KDE 4. I may even switch to a window manager without a DE, and chose
>> other ways of working, if that is the only way that I can avoid the glitz
>> that is now all the rage.
>>

> You will have to better define "glitz". Assuming that you mean
> composting, then if your intention is to avoid the glitz, you can do
> that in KDE 4. In fact, I think that even XFCE comes with composting
> support and integration.
>

>> How things look is very important to me. I have problems with my eyes, and
>> how a thing looks can influence whether I can work on a thing for one minute,
>> ten minutes or an hour.
>>

> Then you will have to adjust the default settings of any DE, KDE is
> not exception here.
>

>> I have no problem with other people liking and wanting to use KDE 4. I have a
>> problem with their, in some cases, not allowing me the freedom _not_ to use
>> it. And I personally shall mourn the passing of KDE 3.
>>

> Like I said, I am not pressuring you to use KDE 4. I just want to know
> what doesn't work for you. And now I know, or I think that I do: you
> don't like composting. Would you like me to send to you a KDE config
> with composting disabled, that you can enable via CLI before logging
> in the first time?

where is the copy-files option in 'edit', dolphin in kde4.x (in 3.5
edit> copy files in konqueror) or did my old eyes look not sharp enough?

regards,

steef

On Sunday 09 May 2010 14:18:27 Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> Op 08-05-10 23:42, Lisi schreef:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> >> Who are you in reality? Do you really think that i am going to obey your
> >> orders?
> >>
> > :-) Well said! And is there not a list rule that replies should go only
> >
> > the list unless a copy is specifically requested?

> > I find having these
> > commands arriving in my personal (as opposed to list) folder a nuisance.
> > I filter for a reason!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> It is a list rule to reply only to list *unless asked otherwise*. In
> this case, Dotan asks otherwise, so what's the problem.

I do *not* ask otherwise and Dotan has been sending long, rude, unpleasant
emails direct to me. That is what I am complaining about. As I said above,
*I* have been getting them from Dotan, as you correctly state: "*Lisi*
shreef ..... *I* have been getting them." According to list policy I should
not be getting them. In addition, the last one was sent to the KDE list (to
which I do not subscribe) and not to this, which is the list with the thread.

Perhaps you should read Dotan's last two emails to me (especially the last
one) before complaining about my complaint.

And my crime?? For which you too clearly feel that I should be subjected to
the unpleasant bullying in emails direct to me? I use KDE 3, but do not
intend to use KDE 4.

Lisi

Op 09-05-10 16:00, Lisi schreef:
>> It is a list rule to reply only to list *unless asked otherwise*. In
>> this case, Dotan asks otherwise, so what's the problem.
>
> I do *not* ask otherwise and Dotan has been sending long, rude, unpleasant
> emails direct to me. That is what I am complaining about. As I said above,
> *I* have been getting them from Dotan, as you correctly state: "*Lisi*
> shreef ..... *I* have been getting them." According to list policy I should
> not be getting them. In addition, the last one was sent to the KDE list (to
> which I do not subscribe) and not to this, which is the list with the thread.
There you have a point.

> Perhaps you should read Dotan's last two emails to me (especially the last
> one) before complaining about my complaint.
Well, that's kind of hard since they are sent to you. Unless you want me
to hack your mailbox ;)

> And my crime?? For which you too clearly feel that I should be subjected to
> the unpleasant bullying in emails direct to me? I use KDE 3, but do not
> intend to use KDE 4.
As far as I have seen the mails of Dotan on this list (the one I'm
following), he is currently collecting issues with KDE4 and filing the
to the devs. That in principle is something good, I suppose.
What I have seen is that Dotan might be a bit persistent in getting the
bugs of of you and others. What I have seen from you is that you also
weren't completely friendly all the time. That's why I thought that a
'manners' mail would be appropriate. I am not going to judge who has
begun and who is to blame. I'm just observing that a valid discussion
(what's different in KDE4 and how can it be improved) is getting out of
hand. And it's also up to you to fix that.
Anyway, what's the crime of using KDE3.5? Nothing, except that it's not
supported anymore.

Sjoerd