From: SMS on
On 29/05/10 1:02 PM, John Higdon wrote:
> In article<EoadnUfBFoXVwZzRnZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> "Richard B. Gilbert"<rgilbert88(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Instead of just saying "nonsense", you might try to mention a few of
>> Apple's applications or tools that aid business.
>
> Final Cut Pro.

That's the app that keeps a lot of people buying Macs. Quite a deal
compared to Avid, especially when you have no need for the level of
functionality that Avid provides.

About once a year one of my kids has a movie project for school that
results in chaos trying to combine stuff from iMovie, animated GIFs,
..wmv files, JPEGs, MPEG2 video, and JPG files. They finish the creative
part, then I'm generally up all night converting files into formats that
one movie program can work with (either Windows Movie Maker, iMovie, or
Sony Vegas Studio) then the next morning they assemble all the files
into the movie, minutes before they have to take the final product to
school. They used to love iMovie but Apple did some strange things to
iMovie a couple of years ago. I.e. in iMovie '08 there is no way to save
a project so you can work on it on a different computer.

I just could not believe that this was true, but apparently it is, and
it was explained succinctly by someone like this:

1. iMovie '08 *only* recognizes projects located in the home folder of
the startup drive.

2. If you copy a project to an external drive, iMovie '08 won't
recognize it. You will have to move it back into its original folder on
your startup drive to get iMovie to see it.

3. Project files don't work without the event footage to go with it,
which is stored in a different folder (on whichever drive you told
iMovie to put the event). Be very careful moving projects and events
around manually, because you can break your projects.

4. iMovie '09 will allow you to easily move projects in a way that
preserves the event footage to go with it.

So the solution to a problem that should never have been a problem is to
buy the new version of iLife!
From: Bill Kearney on
> os x comes with built-in exchange support that enterprise likes to use,
> along with open source components such as apache and other tools. os x
> server goes further with a *lot* of tools enterprises want.

A mail client isn't enterprise support. Nor is a web server.

Network authentication and policies are, and they're entirely missing from
Apple.

From: John Higdon on
In article <4c01b986$0$1655$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>,
SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

> That's the app that keeps a lot of people buying Macs. Quite a deal
> compared to Avid, especially when you have no need for the level of
> functionality that Avid provides.

More and more studios are switching (or adopting from scratch) Final Cut
Pro. A friend of mine who owns a video production house (that does
commercials you've probably seen) used to dismiss Final Cut as a toy.
That is no longer the case.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400
From: nospam on
In article <3fGdnVFQ6JgJTJzRnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>, Bill
Kearney <wkearney99(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > os x comes with built-in exchange support that enterprise likes to use,
> > along with open source components such as apache and other tools. os x
> > server goes further with a *lot* of tools enterprises want.
>
> A mail client isn't enterprise support. Nor is a web server.

exchange support makes it easy to integrate a mac into a corporate
network that uses exchange, and most companies have web servers, so
they could use a mac instead of windows there if they wanted to. some
use apache on linux, so it's a simple transition too.

> Network authentication and policies are, and they're entirely missing from
> Apple.

that's there too.
From: John Navas on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 17:23:37 -0700, John Higdon <higgy(a)kome.com> wrote
in <higgy-B3D477.17233729052010(a)news.announcetech.com>:

>In article <gra306tt5ajij49hva3th21rkmsv29805e(a)4ax.com>,
> John Navas <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your concern, but I get out quite often,
>> and that's not what I would call a major business app.
>
>What do you define as a "major business app"? If ProTools, a pricy but
>highly respected and powerful application employed in recording and
>broadcast facilities worldwide (businesses all), an application that has
>touched just about everything you hear on radio, television, commercial
>recordings, and the movies is not "a major business" app, then I needn't
>waste any more time naming things that you would not "call a major
>business app".

What do you have to back that up?
None of the several audio professionals or businesses I know use it.

--
Best regards,
John

If the iPhone is really so impressive,
why do iFans keep making excuses for it?