From: John Navas on
On 29 May 2010 04:01:14 GMT, qm(a)sonic.net (Brad Allen) wrote in
<4c00918a$0$1641$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>:

>In article <vtKdnZS6qZpGPmzWnZ2dnUVZ_u2dnZ2d(a)posted.southvalleyinternet>,
>Roy <aa4re(a)aa4re.ampr.org> wrote:
>" Lots of speculation within the last few days
>" http://www.lanewsmonitor.com/news/Verizon-iPhone-Release-Date-Now-or-2012--iPhone-4G-Release-Date-in-June---iPhone-4G-Prototype-Leaked-In-Vietnam-1274116551/
>" http://hubpages.com/hub/The-NEW-iPhone-4G-Coming-2010
>" http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=16549&news=Apple+iPhone+4G+HD+Display+IPS+FFS
>
>I'm sick of speculation. I don't wait any more for big companies to
>release phones to consumers. Either I can get it some way, or I don't
>bother. That's why I bought an Android based phone instead of waiting
>for Sony & Apple's vaporgoods,

Very wise -- makes no sense to wait for vaporware or count on upgrades.
"What you see is what you get."

>and I'm not going back without a LOT of
>reason.

And I think that will also be true of the majority of those who have
gone with non-Apple smartphones on Verizon -- only a small minority of
the ones I've talked to would actually want to switch to an iPhone
before their current contract is up.

>And yes, iPhone being on AT&T is reason #1 why I left iPhone, and
>reason #2 is that Apple requires jailbreaking for more functionality.
>I did have T-Mobile with my jailbroken iPhone, but it was an aging
>iPhone, and guess what? No warrantee, and new ones aren't able to use
>T-Mobile. Junk!

Another factor working against the iPhone that's becoming ever bigger
with the passage of time is the adoption of Android by enterprises
attracted to the ease of developing their own Android apps on a familiar
open Linux-based platform. iPhone may well be largely limited to the
consumer market.

iPad may run into the same problem, especially if competitive Android
tablets ship this year as expected.

While a closed system has obvious advantages for Apple in the consumer
market, the enterprise market tends to go for open systems over closed
systems.

--
Best regards,
John

If the iPhone is really so impressive,
why do iFans keep making excuses for it?
From: Bill Kearney on
> While a closed system has obvious advantages for Apple in the consumer
> market, the enterprise market tends to go for open systems over closed
> systems.

That and Apple has shown over time to have little more than contempt for the
enterprise market, by making no tools that aid it.

From: nospam on
In article <ugc2065es9i62djdcqhrfsdiagtcl4nk7s(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> And I think that will also be true of the majority of those who have
> gone with non-Apple smartphones on Verizon -- only a small minority of
> the ones I've talked to would actually want to switch to an iPhone
> before their current contract is up.

market surveys say otherwise and who said anything about before their
contract is up?

> Another factor working against the iPhone that's becoming ever bigger
> with the passage of time is the adoption of Android by enterprises
> attracted to the ease of developing their own Android apps on a familiar
> open Linux-based platform. iPhone may well be largely limited to the
> consumer market.

android development is java based and little to do with linux. android
apps run in a java virtual machine. they're not even native.

> iPad may run into the same problem, especially if competitive Android
> tablets ship this year as expected.

maybe yes, maybe no. there's room for more than one.

> While a closed system has obvious advantages for Apple in the consumer
> market, the enterprise market tends to go for open systems over closed
> systems.

that would explain why enterprises like blackberry. oh wait, that's not
open.
From: nospam on
In article <D9WdnWMLkIiG15zRnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>, Bill
Kearney wrote:

> > While a closed system has obvious advantages for Apple in the consumer
> > market, the enterprise market tends to go for open systems over closed
> > systems.
>
> That and Apple has shown over time to have little more than contempt for the
> enterprise market, by making no tools that aid it.

nonsense.
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
nospam wrote:
> In article <D9WdnWMLkIiG15zRnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>, Bill
> Kearney wrote:
>
>>> While a closed system has obvious advantages for Apple in the consumer
>>> market, the enterprise market tends to go for open systems over closed
>>> systems.
>> That and Apple has shown over time to have little more than contempt for the
>> enterprise market, by making no tools that aid it.
>
> nonsense.

Instead of just saying "nonsense", you might try to mention a few of
Apple's applications or tools that aid business.

I used to work for a company that had about 300 X86 PCs and eight or so
Apple Macs. The Macs were used for a typesetting application. The PCs
ran the business; order-entry, customer service, etc. Could the Apples
have done it? Probably! They didn't because the PCs and their software
were cheaper to buy and maintain.