From: Ron Johnson on
On 05/31/2010 01:39 AM, Camale�n wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:51:14 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
>> On Sun,30.May.10, 18:05:43, Camale�n wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> This way I have to think *less* to be sure about the date. No guessing.
>>
>> You example shows only dates where it is quite obvious what date format
>> is used. Let me see...
>>
>> -rwx------ 1 amp amp 891837 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010065.jpg
>> -rwx------ 1 amp amp 733361 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010066.jpg
>>
>> Can you tell if these files were created 5th march or 3rd may? How (I'd
>> really like to know)?
>
> You got it :-)
>
> That can only be read as "3rd May, 2010".

In the US, 03052010 (MMDDYYYY is a *very* common format, even among
"computer people" who should know better and still use it in file
names) is March 05, 2010.

> And that is precisely the gain of the ISO date format over the rest of
> the other alternatives: nodoby has to ask -or guess- "what your locale
> is" in order to correctly interpret the date you are showing because is
> always fixed ("year-month-day" notation).
>
> Humans have to learn many things from computers. Mainly, "logic".

And people's names should, like in many Asian cultures, be:
Family, Given.

Johnson, Ronald
Popescu, Andrei
Bargmann, Nate

People's names sort naturally, without the need for a separate (and
arbitrarily sized) first_name and last_name fields in databases.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> For me dd mmm yyyy is very clear ...

Even when the month abbreviation is in a language you don't know?

That's why the ISO date formats are numeric: As long as one uses
[whatever the right name for our Arabic-digit-based decimal system
is], one can read the ISO date format.

Daniel

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> You example shows only dates where it is quite obvious what date format
> is used. Let me see...
>
> -rwx------ 1 amp amp 891837 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010065.jpg
> -rwx------ 1 amp amp 733361 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010066.jpg
>
> Can you tell if these files were created 5th march or 3rd may? How (I'd
> really like to know)?

The third of May, because it's recognizable as the ISO date/time
format (because of the hyphens, and, in that case, because of the
time format (no "am" or "pm") and position (after the date part)).

Yes, that depends on there not being any similar format that uses
hyphens but a different number order, but there isn't, is there?

And even if one doesn't already know the ISO format, one could easily
recognize from the year, hour, and minute that the components are
in descending size order (year before month, month before day of
month, etc.)

Daniel

On 31/05/10 05:38 AM, Camaleón wrote:

> Besides, I also tend to name the files and folders as
> "2010-05-31_filename" and so on, they keep my mind (and my computer) in a
> very well organized fit :-)

Totally agree. This is one of the main uses of ISO date format that I
routinely take advantage of. Most common scenario in my case is
organizing my photos (mostly scanned from film, digital as well). I have
a /path/to/photos directory and in that I have directories for each roll
or group of photos named something like 20100601_00_nn_Subject
(YYYYMMDD_<Roll number of that date>_<framenumber>_<subject string>).
This way, the default order of listing is always chronological. And for
the cases where I do not know the YYYY or MM or DD, I just use zeros.
Works pretty well. In fact, there is no other date format that can work
this good!

Further, the ISO date format has a structure where the resolution gets
finer as go towards the right. YYYY->MM->DD->HH->SS just shows smaller
time units as we read it.

I can understand if an average Joe sticks with non-ISO date formats. But
for logic and computer related stuff, ISO format is the best choice, IMHO.

ever having been read.

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/30/2010 05:51 PM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> You example shows only dates where it is quite obvious what date format
>> is used. Let me see...
>>
>> -rwx------ 1 amp amp 891837 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010065.jpg
>> -rwx------ 1 amp amp 733361 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010066.jpg
>>
>> Can you tell if these files were created 5th march or 3rd may? How (I'd
>> really like to know)?
>>

> That's the point... Which is why YYYY-MM-DD HH:mm is the only rational
> format.

Well, except for the ISO variation YYYY-MM-DDTHH:mm, good for when you want
to avoid spaces (e.g., in filenames). :-)

Daniel