From: Ron Johnson on
On 06/01/2010 10:06 AM, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>>
>> You example shows only dates where it is quite obvious what date
>> format is used. Let me see...
>>
>> -rwx------ 1 amp amp 891837 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010065.jpg
>> -rwx------ 1 amp amp 733361 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010066.jpg
>>
>> Can you tell if these files were created 5th march or 3rd may? How
>> (I'd really like to know)?
>
> The third of May, because it's recognizable as the ISO date/time
> format (because of the hyphens, and, in that case, because of the
> time format (no "am" or "pm") and position (after the date part)).
>
> Yes, that depends on there not being any similar format that uses
> hyphens but a different number order, but there isn't, is there?
>
> And even if one doesn't already know the ISO format, one could easily
> recognize from the year, hour, and minute that the components are
> in descending size order (year before month, month before day of
> month, etc.)

03-05-2010

There's no way on Earth to *know* whether this date is May 3rd or
March 5th.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On 06/01/2010 10:18 AM, H.S. wrote:
> On 31/05/10 05:38 AM, CamaleĆ³n wrote:
>>
>> Besides, I also tend to name the files and folders as
>> "2010-05-31_filename" and so on, they keep my mind (and my computer) in a
>> very well organized fit :-)
>
> Totally agree. This is one of the main uses of ISO date format that I
> routinely take advantage of. Most common scenario in my case is
> organizing my photos (mostly scanned from film, digital as well). I have
> a /path/to/photos directory and in that I have directories for each roll
> or group of photos named something like 20100601_00_nn_Subject
> (YYYYMMDD_<Roll number of that date>_<framenumber>_<subject string>).
> This way, the default order of listing is always chronological. And for
> the cases where I do not know the YYYY or MM or DD, I just use zeros.
> Works pretty well. In fact, there is no other date format that can work
> this good!
>
> Further, the ISO date format has a structure where the resolution gets
> finer as go towards the right. YYYY->MM->DD->HH->SS just shows smaller
> time units as we read it.
>
> I can understand if an average Joe sticks with non-ISO date formats. But
> for logic and computer related stuff, ISO format is the best choice, IMHO.

jhead -n%Y%m%d-%H%M%S *.JPG

It reads the date/time stamp from a pic's Exif header and then
renames the file.

On 01/06/10 12:14 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> jhead -n%Y%m%d-%H%M%S *.JPG
>
> It reads the date/time stamp from a pic's Exif header and then renames
> the file.
............................................^^^^^^^^^^^^...............

Not applicable if there is no exif data in the photo file ... fairly
common scenario, I might add, when photos are scanned from film.

And besides, even if Exif meta data is present, further hack is needed
to put all the photos in a folder with a name based on the date when the
photo shoot was started.

Combine the above two and jhead is not such a convenience at all. The
best solutions I fixed on is to create the appropriately named folder
and save all the scans within that. The scanning software allows me to
sequentially number the frames that I scan and I just put the ISO date
based prefix before that number.

ever having been read.

On Ma, 01 iun 10, 10:58:09, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> >For me dd mmm yyyy is very clear ...
>
> Even when the month abbreviation is in a language you don't know?

I think in such a case the output of ls will be the lesser of my
problems ;)

Regards,
Andrei
On Sunday 30 May 2010 00:58:59 Brian Marshall wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 07:17:31AM +0300, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> > * 2010-05-29 20:25 (-0700), Brian Marshall wrote:
> > > Recently, I noticed that the date format in the output from "ls -l"
> > > has changed in squeeze. Before, it used the ISO standard (2010-05-29
> > > 20:00) but now it's started printing "May 29 20:00" or "May 29 2009"
> > > if it's not the current year.
> >
> > Yes, the default has changed. You can change the default with TIME_STYLE
>
> Any idea why the default was changed?

Possibly to bring it in line with the Single UNIX Specification?

From SUSv3:
"The <date and time> field shall contain the appropriate date and timestamp of
when the file was last modified. In the POSIX locale, the field shall be the
equivalent of the output of the following date command:

date "+%b %e %H:%M"

if the file has been modified in the last six months, or:

date "+%b %e %Y"

(where two <space>s are used between %e and %Y ) if the file has not been
modified in the last six months or if the modification date is in the future,
except that, in both cases, the final <newline> produced by date shall not be
included and the output shall be as if the date command were executed at the
time of the last modification date of the file rather than the current time."

Of course, SUS basically ignores any locale other than "POSIX" or "C", but
there is rarely a good reason to be different in other locales.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))