From: Stephan Seitz on
On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 10:58:09AM -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:
>Andrei Popescu wrote:
>>For me dd mmm yyyy is very clear ...
>Even when the month abbreviation is in a language you don't know?

Then I can always use „env LANG=C ls -l”.

>That's why the ISO date formats are numeric: As long as one uses
>[whatever the right name for our Arabic-digit-based decimal system
>is], one can read the ISO date format.

Only if you know, it is ISO date format. Using the name for the month
does not make things more complicated with the exception of parsing the
output with another program.

Shade and sweet water!

Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz E-Mail: stse(a)fsing.rootsland.net |
| PGP Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/pgp.html |
From: Andrei Popescu on
On Ma, 01 iun 10, 13:56:12, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> From SUSv3:
> "The <date and time> field shall contain the appropriate date and timestamp of
> when the file was last modified. In the POSIX locale, the field shall be the
> equivalent of the output of the following date command:
>
> date "+%b %e %H:%M"
>
> if the file has been modified in the last six months, or:
>
> date "+%b %e %Y"
> Of course, SUS basically ignores any locale other than "POSIX" or "C",
> but there is rarely a good reason to be different in other locales.

One reason would be that '%b %e %Y' makes sense only to Americans >:-)

Regards,
Andrei
On 06/01/2010 03:23 PM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Ma, 01 iun 10, 13:56:12, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>
>> From SUSv3:
>> "The<date and time> field shall contain the appropriate date and timestamp of
>> when the file was last modified. In the POSIX locale, the field shall be the
>> equivalent of the output of the following date command:
>>
>> date "+%b %e %H:%M"
>>
>> if the file has been modified in the last six months, or:
>>
>> date "+%b %e %Y"
>> Of course, SUS basically ignores any locale other than "POSIX" or "C",
>> but there is rarely a good reason to be different in other locales.
>
> One reason would be that '%b %e %Y' makes sense only to Americans>:-)

I've often wondered where that date convention originates. The
military (or, at least, the Navy) and DEC, when it created VMS
(don't know about it's earlier OSs) realizes the flaw in that format
and thus uses DD-AAA-YYYY.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On Tuesday 01 June 2010 15:23:11 Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Ma, 01 iun 10, 13:56:12, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > From SUSv3:
> > "The <date and time> field shall contain the appropriate date and
> > timestamp of when the file was last modified. In the POSIX locale, the
> > field shall be the equivalent of the output of the following date
> > command:
> >
> > date "+%b %e %H:%M"
> >
> > if the file has been modified in the last six months, or:
> >
> > date "+%b %e %Y"
>
> > Of course, SUS basically ignores any locale other than "POSIX" or "C",
> > but there is rarely a good reason to be different in other locales.
>
> One reason would be that '%b %e %Y' makes sense only to Americans >:-)

In this specific case, I'd say that is a good reason to be different. I
wouldn't say ISO format is the correct way to be different -- probably
something that uses '%b', '%e', and '%Y' and has 3 spaces, but not is the same
order is appropriate.

That's just my gut feeling though. It's a local(e) thing, so I can only
really speak for en_US(a)Arkansas.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Erwan David on
Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/01/2010 03:23 PM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> On Ma, 01 iun 10, 13:56:12, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> From SUSv3:
>>> "The<date and time> field shall contain the appropriate date and
>>> timestamp of
>>> when the file was last modified. In the POSIX locale, the field shall
>>> be the
>>> equivalent of the output of the following date command:
>>>
>>> date "+%b %e %H:%M"
>>>
>>> if the file has been modified in the last six months, or:
>>>
>>> date "+%b %e %Y"
>>> Of course, SUS basically ignores any locale other than "POSIX" or "C",
>>> but there is rarely a good reason to be different in other locales.
>>
>> One reason would be that '%b %e %Y' makes sense only to Americans>:-)
>>

> I've often wondered where that date convention originates. The military
> (or, at least, the Navy) and DEC, when it created VMS (don't know about
> it's earlier OSs) realizes the flaw in that format and thus uses
> DD-AAA-YYYY.

But for sorting easily, YYYY-MM-DD is the best format.

--
Erwan