From: Hoggle on
kdthrge(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> Why do you want to redefine thermodynamicsic with some bullshit link.

I apologise for refuting your faith with accepted scientific wisdom.
Please convey my apologies to your priest. I live in continued hope
that you will abandon your mysteries and accept the tenets of
mainstream science.

> The atmosphere of the earth is opaque to radiaiton from
> about 1 micron in the infrared and not far into the ultraviolets beyond
> visible frequencies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MODIS_ATM_solar_irradiance.jpg
The sun does not emit significant radiation outside the 200nm-2700nm
range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Atmospheric_electromagnetic_transmittance_or_opacity.jpg
The opacity of the atmosphere is virtually zero between 3cm and 10m
wavelenths (radio waves) and around 15% between 8-15 microns (infra
red).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Atmospheric_transmittance_infrared.gif
The importance of CO to absorption of outgoing Infra-red is in this
window, between 8 and 15 microns. As can be seen, CO2 has lesser*
absorption lines at about 9.4 and 10.6 microns which fall into this
window. Thus any radiation at these wavelengths will be absorbed by it
sooner on its way out. If there is more CO2, more radiation will be
absorbed in the lower atmosphere.

Since the radiation does not leave the system, it does not have a
cooling effect, and the balance between incoming and outgoing energy is
shifted, raising the overall energy within the system, which is
generally expressed as heat and/or weather.

http://entropy.brneurosci.org/spectra.png
(this from a sceptic who has concluded that runaway warming is
impossible because the absorbtion is logarithmic rather than
exponential or linear.)

* the main CO2 absorbtion bands are at 4.26 µm and 14.99

From: Ben Newsam on
On 15 Aug 2006 23:44:07 -0700, kdthrge(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>It's impossible for CO2 to cause global warming

Put your money where your mouth is, and invest in property in New
Orleans.

From: richard schumacher on
In article <1155692288.133893.80870(a)m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
kdthrge(a)yahoo.com typed some stuff.

Do you sleep under a blanket on a cold night? If so, why? By your
argument, it's impossible for a blanket to increase your temperature
because your body's heat capacity is so much larger than that of the
blanket.

For discussion of the facts of global warming by scientists see
http://realclimate.org
From: David on
Actually, the equation can be and is used with "gray bodies". The factor
that corrects for gray bodies is the emissivity. For a column of CO2 at 380
ppm the emissivity is quite high. It is closer to 1 than 0. The
Stephan-Boltzmann equation therefore tends to SUPPORT the "warmists"
argument.

From: David on
What part of your last post is relavent? I have a good recipe for making
yogurt. Mybe I'll use that to clearify my views on global warming.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: jar question
Next: The most powerful woman in the world...