From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-04-18 14:20, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> On 04/18/2010 04:08 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> He's got a few of these connected via serial adaptors:
>> http://www.infinityusb.com/default.asp?show=productsdetail&ProductID=12
>>
>> Why aren't they on real USB, I don't know. I am going over there to
>> help him tomorrow, so to come prepared I started googling today.
>> Although the USB-serial adaptors seem to be popular, I find nothing
>> about how to mount devices attached to them. I am assuming that, being
>> a card reader, I will be able to mount the media (card).
>>

> I see nothing about serial there. Just a plain smart card reader that
> connects directly via USB.

It did mention "virtualCOM port".

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On 04/18/2010 04:08 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> He's got a few of these connected via serial adaptors:
> http://www.infinityusb.com/default.asp?show=productsdetail&ProductID=12
>
> Why aren't they on real USB, I don't know. I am going over there to
> help him tomorrow, so to come prepared I started googling today.
> Although the USB-serial adaptors seem to be popular, I find nothing
> about how to mount devices attached to them. I am assuming that, being
> a card reader, I will be able to mount the media (card).

I see nothing about serial there. Just a plain smart card reader that
connects directly via USB.

What is unusual is that the page explicitly talks about Linux support
and seems to have instructions on using it under Linux.

--
panic: can't find /

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 07:40:48PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> It's a 2.6 kernel, so Etch.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://bido.com
> http://what-is-what.com
>
> Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
> read all list mail.

"Plonk"

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 22:08:16 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> He's got a few of these connected via serial adaptors:
> http://www.infinityusb.com/default.asp?show=productsdetail&ProductID=12
>
> Why aren't they on real USB, I don't know.

Because the device may expect a USB host controller instead a RS-232 :-?

> I am going over there to help
> him tomorrow, so to come prepared I started googling today. Although the
> USB-serial adaptors seem to be popular, I find nothing about how to
> mount devices attached to them.

What seems to be more popular are RS-232 devices (modems, printers...)
connected/attached to a computer USB host port, but not the opposite.

> I am assuming that, being a card reader,
> I will be able to mount the media (card).

Mmm, have you tested it? :-?

Insert a smartcard and check the output of "dmesg" and "mount" commands.
They will tell.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Dotan Cohen:

>>> A neighbor with an old Debian (probably etch but could be sarge)
>>> machine needs to know where a USB smart card reader attached via RS232
>>> adaptor
>>
>> Huh???
>
> He's got a few of these connected via serial adaptors:
> http://www.infinityusb.com/default.asp?show=productsdetail&ProductID=12
>
> Why aren't they on real USB, I don't know. I am going over there to
> help him tomorrow, so to come prepared I started googling today.
> Although the USB-serial adaptors seem to be popular, I find nothing
> about how to mount devices attached to them. I am assuming that, being
> a card reader, I will be able to mount the media (card).

It might just be me, but when I head "USB-serial adaptor" I think of
something like a PL2303 which can be used to attach devices with a
serial connector to a PC that lacks a serial port. It would be news to
me if these adaptors worked the other way round, too.

But if it actually works, you should be able to talk to the device using
the regular /dev/ttyS0.

J.
--
Watching television is more hip than actually speaking to anyone.
[Agree] [Disagree]