From: Dotan Cohen on
>> It's a 2.6 kernel, so Etch.

> "Plonk"

Why plonk me? Surely this is not the last Etch machine out there? In
any case, I could probably convince him to upgrade if you think that
Etch is not up to the task.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

> It might just be me, but when I head "USB-serial adaptor" I think of
> something like a PL2303 which can be used to attach devices with a
> serial connector to a PC that lacks a serial port. It would be news to
> me if these adaptors worked the other way round, too.
>
> But if it actually works, you should be able to talk to the device using
> the regular /dev/ttyS0.

Thanks, I think that he tried that but I will give it a go.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

>> Why aren't they on real USB, I don't know.
>
> Because the device may expect a USB host controller instead a RS-232 :-?

Likely!

>> I am going over there to help
>> him tomorrow, so to come prepared I started googling today. Although the
>> USB-serial adaptors seem to be popular, I find nothing about how to
>> mount devices attached to them.
>
> What seems to be more popular are RS-232 devices (modems, printers...)
> connected/attached to a computer USB host port, but not the opposite.

I have seen that, but as you say I have never seen it the way that he
describes using it now (backwards).

>> I am assuming that, being a card reader,
>> I will be able to mount the media (card).
>
> Mmm, have you tested it? :-?
>
> Insert a smartcard and check the output of "dmesg" and "mount" commands.
> They will tell.

I will get there later today. But I want to go prepared, which is why
I googled and asked here.

Maybe, as Ron mentioned, the "virtualCOM port" is confusing him.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:09:08 +0300
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Dotan,

> I think that serial doesn't even support some USB features, so I am

More of an issue would be getting the +/-12V from a 5V i/f. Not
impossible, but not cheap when compared with the getting 5V from 12V.

> also doubtful. We'll see this evening.

Let us know; *I'm* intrigued, even if no-one else is. :-)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

He looked the wrong way at a policeman
I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs
From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-04-19 02:58, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> It's a 2.6 kernel, so Etch.
>
>> "Plonk"
>>

> Why plonk me? Surely this is not the last Etch machine out there? In
> any case, I could probably convince him to upgrade if you think that
> Etch is not up to the task.

You completely missed (probably because gmail's web interface so
incredibly sucks) why he's plonking you.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?