From: Mark Allums on
On 4/20/2010 3:07 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:02:25 -0500
> Mark Allums<mark(a)allums.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Mark,
>
>> That ought actually to work, if a computer were plugged into the USB
>> side. Then you would have a very slow transfer cable.
>
> Yes, but AIUI, the computer's on the RS232 side.

Well, I meant a computer on both sides, but it matters not a whit. I
should probably not post (even to make a joke) if I can't actually be
helpful, it wastes everyone's time.

Sorry.

MAA

On 4/18/2010 3:27 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:15:53 -0500
> Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
> Hello Ron,
>
>> Plz show us a link to a USB adapter that plugs into a PC's serial port.
>
> I've never even looked for one. I'm just going what by Dotan wrote. By
> the sounds of it, he's not seen the set up yet, anyhow. It could well
> be that his neighbour has got a USB-RS232 adapter plugged in the wrong
> way round. Of course, at this point, I'm just guessing.

That ought actually to work, if a computer were plugged into the USB
side. Then you would have a very slow transfer cable.

MAA

(Useless, I know. Not helpful.)

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 04:12:14AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> >>"Plonk"
> >>

> >Why plonk me? Surely this is not the last Etch machine out there? In
> >any case, I could probably convince him to upgrade if you think that
> >Etch is not up to the task.
> >

> You completely missed (probably because gmail's web interface so
> incredibly sucks) why he's plonking you.

LOL! That is an hilarious and brilliant edit. I'll miss that part.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

On 2010-04-20 12:24, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:48:33 -0500
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
> Hello Ron,
>
>> That's what OP wrote, but it makes no sense.
>
> Indeed. Sounds to me as though Dotan's neighbour isn't all that tech
> savvie.
>
> Again, a bit of guess on my part.

Yeah, but this is one of those "release the apple and it falls"
guesses. *Occasionally* it won't, but usually, like 10 9's, it will.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

> Indeed.  Sounds to me as though Dotan's neighbour isn't all that tech
> savvie.

He's not, he's calling _me_ for support! Actually, he is very
knowledgeable in his field, but this is not his field.

It turns out to be a mess of parts. There is the USB card reader that
I mentioned earlier, and also a serial usb reader with no
documentation or numbers to google. I took a picture of it with my
camera phone, I will post a link shortly.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com