From: Brad Rogers on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:21:12 -0500
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

Hello Ron,

> Yeah, but this is one of those "release the apple and it falls"
> guesses. *Occasionally* it won't, but usually, like 10 9's, it will.

or as Terry Pratchett puts it;

Nine times out of ten, a million to one shot pays off.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Going round on the Circle Line trying to find a way out
Titanic (My Over) Reaction - 999
From: Ron Johnson on
On 04/23/2010 07:04 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Thanks, Kevin and Brad. I now have a good starting point, and should
> be able to google my way out of the situation.
>
> To clarify, for those who I've confused in the beginning of the thread:
> Despite claims by the user that he is connecting USB smart card
> readers via serial, he has two different types of smart card readers:
> 1) Serial smart card readers of unknown origin. These card readers may
> or may not be supported in Debian via third party software.

Not only that, but it's definitely not "production ready". Almost
like someone wire wrapped it.

He should be asking *them* for help.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:01:56 -0500
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

Hello Ron,

> Not only that, but it's definitely not "production ready". Almost

I've seen far worse in production equipment. OTOH, without a case, it
does look far from professional.

Unless, that is, Dotan stripped the unit to take the photograph.

> like someone wire wrapped it.

No wrapping in evidence, to my eye. The odd wire here and there is
to avoid the cost of double sided boards and plating through. On a
simple project, it's far easier to just add a wire link, since the price
of making d/s boards can more than double the cost of parts.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

Kill joy, bad guy, big talking, small fry
Death On Two Legs - Queen
From: Dotan Cohen on
>> Not only that, but it's definitely not "production ready".  Almost
>
> I've seen far worse in production equipment.  OTOH, without a case, it
> does look far from professional.

Well, production in this case is not "people will die if it fails" so
it is passable for his needs.

> Unless, that is, Dotan stripped the unit to take the photograph.

No, actually, that is how it came!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:08:22 +0300
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Dotan,

> Well, production in this case is not "people will die if it fails" so
> it is passable for his needs.

:-)

> > Unless, that is, Dotan stripped the unit to take the photograph.
> No, actually, that is how it came!

Looking like that, it'd be virtually unsaleable here, unless it was
sold in kit form.

"Here" being the UK.

--
Regards _