From: Stephen Powell on
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:55:58 -0400 (EDT), Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:06:56 -0400 (EDT), Tom H wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't you think that lilo will be left in the repos but not available
>>> at install time? You could then install lilo post-OS-install or
>>> through pre-seeding.
>>
>> Not without an active upstream maintainer. That's the critical need now.
>
> I meant to say the Lenny repos (although I am curious to see whether
> it will really disappear from the Squeeze repos once Squeeze is
> released).

If they pull it, they will probably pull it *before* squeeze becomes the
current stable release. Once a release becomes the stable release, it's
almost impossible to pull a package from it.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Tom H writes:
> I meant to say the Lenny repos (although I am curious to see whether
> [Lilo] will really disappear from the Squeeze repos once Squeeze is
> released).

If it has an RC bug at the time of the release it will be removed.
--
John Hasler

On 01/06/2010 10:32, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> The reason grub2 is being forced upon us all is the need of the "desktop"
> users who want a 20MB kitchen sink kernel and initrd that will support any
> piece of hardware on any machine they throw at it. Many sysadmins don't want
> or need that, and we're being forced to change our bootloader due to the
> perceived needs of others.
>
> LILO isn't broken and it works well enough for may folks such as myself. We
> should have the option of keeping it, as an installable package, until _we_
> feel we need to change to something else. It's as much a philosophical issue
> as it is a practical one. There is no legitimate reason LILO can't be left in
> the distro as an optional package, just as it is now with Lenny.

A perfectly legitimate reason is that there is one willing to maintain
it. Lots of hot air on -user, but nobody prepared to do the work. IMHO
the kernel size issue is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

--
Jon Dowland

On 30/05/2010 14:04, thib wrote:
> Like any dist upgrade, squeeze will have release notes with upgrade
> instructions and I'm quite confident everything concerning lilo will
> be covered. There are probably many upgrade test patterns they'll
> have to try, that's true, but I would hope the transition goes
> smoothly for most systems.
All the smoother with sufficient testing (which is what William was
requesting with the OP)

On 24/05/2010 23:44, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> So it would appear boot loaders in general have a lack of interested/committed
> developers? Both LILO and GRUB.
>
> <sarcasm> So instead of just LILO, why didn't the Debian team just throw both
> bootloaders out the window and start over with committed devs? </sarcasm>

There would indeed appear to be a manpower problem for grub2 and lilo
*within* Debian, but the key issue here is that there is also a manpower
problem for lilo *outside* Debian, too.

--
Jon Dowland