From: Mark Allums on
For yet another view on this, Grub2 is pants. I see no good reason to
eliminate both lilo and GRUB at the same time. Eliminate lilo or GRUB
but not both, and let the user choose to use Grub2 or the older method.
When Grub2 matures some more, move to it, but it's not ready yet to
take on the full responsibility of booting all of creation.

MAA

On Sunday 30 May 2010 05:40:21 Mark Allums wrote:
> For yet another view on this, Grub2 is pants. I see no good reason to
> eliminate both lilo and GRUB at the same time. Eliminate lilo or GRUB
> but not both, and let the user choose to use Grub2 or the older method.
> When Grub2 matures some more, move to it, but it's not ready yet to
> take on the full responsibility of booting all of creation.
>
> MAA

+1

I am accustomed to GRUB 1. But if I have to change, I would rather change to
LILO than to GRUB 2. :-(

Lisi

Stephen Powell put forth on 5/29/2010 9:48 AM:

<thorough explanation snipped>

> As time goes on, these restrictions are getting more restrictive.
> And we are looking at alternatives to our existing backup software.
> But for now, I have to live within these restrictions.

Implement VMware ESX and VMware Consolidate Backup (or whatever their
marketing calls them today). The price is high, but the capability for
platform consistent PIT backup is unmatched. Of course, you need at bare
minimum a small FC or iSCSI SAN, preferably FC as it's over 4 times the
throughput and lower latency. You can build such a SAN with a Qlogic 8 port
4Gb FC switch, FC HBAs for 4 or so servers, a Nexsan SATABoy storage array
w/2GB cache and 14x500GB drives in RAID6 for about $20k USD. At least, *I*
could build and integrate this relatively "low end" FC SAN for that. Add
about $5k for the VCB server hardware and its largish 6TB worth of initial
scratch space. I assume you already have an appropriate tape library.

You'd have to contact a VMware rep for current ESX and VCB pricing. If an
organization can afford it, it's the only way to fly, especially VCB.

--
Stan

On Sat,29.May.10, 22:35:56, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> My gut instinct is that due to the above reasons and possibly others, the next
> dist upgrade is going to hose all my production servers whilst trying to
> forcibly convert them to Grub2. Is my instinct correct?

Worst case you'll have to pin lilo at 1001 and grub-pc at -1 before the
upgrade ;)

Regards,
Andrei
Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> My gut instinct is that due to the above reasons and possibly others, the next
> dist upgrade is going to hose all my production servers whilst trying to
> forcibly convert them to Grub2. Is my instinct correct?

Like any dist upgrade, squeeze will have release notes with upgrade
instructions and I'm quite confident everything concerning lilo will be
covered. There are probably many upgrade test patterns they'll have to try,
that's true, but I would hope the transition goes smoothly for most systems.

-t