From: Frank Van Damme on
2010/5/23 <briand(a)aracnet.com>:

> Furthermore asking people to test it is not exactly a minor request.
> When it doesn't work you get to break out the rescue disk and go
> through some relatively painful work to recover.  I know, because I had
> to do it.

Make it less painful: keep your old menu.lst and use super grub disk.
It'll find it in seconds. Barely slower than booting with a non-broken
bootloader ;-)

> I for one would really appreciate it if the lilo maintainer could write
> just a little bit about the scope of work required to fix it (to this
> list). It would be a real shame if lilo goes away.

Is it, by the way, true that using LILO allows you to put /boot on LVM?

--
Frank Van Damme
A: Because it destroys the flow of the conversation.

On Tue, 25 May 2010 13:12:27 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> No software is entirely without cost ...
>> volunteers work on whatever they like ...
>> your specific requirements may differ from their goals ...
>> volunteers are rarely concerned with "market share" ...
>
> All excellent points, Boyd. Fortunately in this case, extlinux appears
> to be a viable solution. I'll soon know ...

Unfortunately, logical backups of a Linux machine using the extlinux
boot loader do not work with our backup/restore software. The master boot
record and partition boot sector are restored correctly, but
/boot/extlinux/extlinux.sys will probably not be restored to the exact
same sectors from which it was backed up, and the restore software has no
special logic to remedy that situation. Therefore, after restore, the
machine will not boot. It *does* recognize lilo and has special logic
to patch lilo after the restore so that the machine will boot.

The problem can be circumvented by taking an image backup
instead of a logical backup, but that gets into special backup
requirements. Until we get newer backup software I must either use
lilo or ask for special backup procedures for my Linux servers.
I choose the former. Logical (file by file) backups have many advantages,
one of which is to avoid giving the Windows advocates an excuse to oppose
further deployment of Linux servers.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 04:34:06PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> > I for one would really appreciate it if the lilo maintainer could write
> > just a little bit about the scope of work required to fix it (to this
> > list). It would be a real shame if lilo goes away.
>
> Is it, by the way, true that using LILO allows you to put /boot on LVM?

It's possible for a simple LVM setup. However, it's also very
easy to get an unbootable system! Since it's just storing
blocklists, any LVM changes have the potential to screw up
LILO, and (from experience) it's actually quite hard to rescue
once broken (due to difficulties getting the LVM/RAID up and
mounted and then running lilo in a chroot; I had issues with
the device numbers being wrong).

Nowadays I just use a separate /boot and then use GRUB2, and
it all works nicely.

Regards,
Roger

--
.''`. Roger Leigh
From: Josselin Mouette on
Le vendredi 28 mai 2010 à 10:45 -0400, Stephen Powell a écrit :
> Unfortunately, logical backups of a Linux machine using the extlinux
> boot loader do not work with our backup/restore software. The master boot
> record and partition boot sector are restored correctly, but
> /boot/extlinux/extlinux.sys will probably not be restored to the exact
> same sectors from which it was backed up, and the restore software has no
> special logic to remedy that situation. Therefore, after restore, the
> machine will not boot. It *does* recognize lilo and has special logic
> to patch lilo after the restore so that the machine will boot.

We have understood that your backup software is broken. It’s not the
only one. There’s nothing we can do to fix broken, proprietary backup
software.

If you want to become the new upstream for lilo because you need to cope
with broken backup software, please go ahead; I’m sure the effort will
be welcome. If not, I think you have made your point by now.

As a personal advice, I would recommend you to stop bothering with that
broken backup software, it doesn’t seem good for your health. Set up a
CIFS share on a backed-up Windows server, copy your data there using one
of the numerous solutions in Debian, and get done with it. Or just state
that you can’t backup modern Linux servers with it, and let them
struggle with Windows servers if they really decide to use this instead.

Cheers,
--
.''`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 06:11:20PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 28 mai 2010 à 10:45 -0400, Stephen Powell a écrit :
> > Unfortunately, logical backups of a Linux machine using the extlinux
> > boot loader do not work with our backup/restore software. The master boot
> > record and partition boot sector are restored correctly, but
> > /boot/extlinux/extlinux.sys will probably not be restored to the exact
> > same sectors from which it was backed up, and the restore software has no
> > special logic to remedy that situation. Therefore, after restore, the
> > machine will not boot. It *does* recognize lilo and has special logic
> > to patch lilo after the restore so that the machine will boot.
>
> We have understood that your backup software is broken. It’s not the
> only one. There’s nothing we can do to fix broken, proprietary backup
> software.

One obvious solution not already mentioned is to back up the bootloader
*in Linux* as a normal file, so the backup software can then just back
it up like any other file. It's a simple enough workaround to the
deficiencies in your backup software.

dd if=dev/hda of=/boot/bootsector-backup bs=512 count=nnn

Stick it in as a daily cron job and you're done. When it comes to
restoring, you can just dd it back and you're in business.

> As a personal advice, I would recommend you to stop bothering with that
> broken backup software, it doesn’t seem good for your health. Set up a
> CIFS share on a backed-up Windows server, copy your data there using one
> of the numerous solutions in Debian, and get done with it. Or just state
> that you can’t backup modern Linux servers with it, and let them
> struggle with Windows servers if they really decide to use this instead.

Very true. The same software is likely also broken with GPT
partition tables, BSD partition tables etc., so it's not like it's
just grub at fault here! For the most part, grub is a vast
improvement over LILO, and except for the odd corner cases which
grub doesn't cover, grub is a much better choice if you have the
choice.

Regards,
Roger

--