From: Steve Fishpaste on
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:39:33AM -0400, Jordan Metzmeier uttered:
> On 05/21/2010 11:23 AM, Steve Fishpaste wrote:
> >Good morning folks.
> >
> >Why is the Chromium-browser in Sid so old? Chromium has been on the
> >6.x branch for a couple of weeks now and Debian is still using the 5.x
> >branch.
> >
> >In my opinion we should keep up with the new releases at least weekly.
> >Is this on the agenda to do?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Steve
> >Toronto
> >

> This just made it into sid _very_ recently. I was not aware that
> software released a couple weeks ago was "really old". I run IW 3.0.6
> in Lenny. It is much more than a couple weeks old but does just fine
> and providing needed functionality.

Yes it was in experimental briefly.

It's (6.x branch) considerably faster on this netbook. Sid changes daily as does
Chromium. I don't expect daily updates but it should be updated at
least weekly!

> There is a Ubutnu PPA that does weekly builds of chromium. I have not
> tried it personally but am told that those .debs work fine on sid.
> You might give that a try if you really would like to stay on the
> bleeding-edge.

I'm familiar with this as I've used it before Debian decided to get in
the game; which is good since Iceweasel is a POS.
> --
> Jordan Metzmeier

> listmaster(a)lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4BF6A935.5060500(a)gmail.com

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 06:38:35PM +0300, Andrei Popescu uttered:
> On Fri,21.May.10, 11:23:15, Steve Fishpaste wrote:
> > Good morning folks.
> >
> > Why is the Chromium-browser in Sid so old? Chromium has been on the
> > 6.x branch for a couple of weeks now and Debian is still using the 5.x
> > branch.
> >
> > In my opinion we should keep up with the new releases at least weekly.
> > Is this on the agenda to do?
>
> I'm sure the maintainer will be glad to accept you help ;)

I'd be happy to contribute in any way I can, but the question is why
is it so old when Ubuntu is keeping up-to-date daily?!

On Fri,21.May.10, 08:32:56, jeremy jozwik wrote:

> question, on lenny is there a different repository for chromium? just
> did a apt search to find chromium.

According to http://packages.debian.org/chromium-browser [1] it is only
available in sid/unstable. backports.org usually carries newer versions
of packages compiled for stable, but the policy is to have only packages
from testing.

[1] I could have told you the same with
'apt-cache policy chromium-browser', but I do have sources for all three
releases ;)

You could also try to backport it yourself or just compile from source.
The upstream provided debs I don't like, because of the way they handle
updates.

Regards,
Andrei
On Fri,21.May.10, 11:42:57, Steve Fishpaste wrote:

> > I'm sure the maintainer will be glad to accept you help ;)
>
> I'd be happy to contribute in any way I can,

You could try contacting the maintainer. The easiest way is to mail
<package-name>@packages.debian.org ;)

> but the question is why
> is it so old when Ubuntu is keeping up-to-date daily?!

Wasn't there some automatic download/recompile going on in PPA? Or maybe
the Ubuntu maintainer just has more time...

Regards,
Andrei
[sorry for replying to myself]

On Fri,21.May.10, 18:53:34, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri,21.May.10, 11:42:57, Steve Fishpaste wrote:
>
> > but the question is why
> > is it so old when Ubuntu is keeping up-to-date daily?!
>
> Wasn't there some automatic download/recompile going on in PPA? Or maybe
> the Ubuntu maintainer just has more time...

And one more thing: if the package in sid/unstable is updated too often
it will never migrate to testing, because it has to be at least 10 days
old (assuming no bugs are found and there are no dependency problems).

Regards,
Andrei
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9