From: Steve Fishpaste on
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 07:18:12AM -0600, Aaron Toponce uttered:
> On 05/24/2010 12:42 AM, Javier Barroso wrote:
> > It is in experimental, and work fine for me:
>
> ...but we're not talking about experimental now, are we? :)

Yup I was originally as that's where Chromium was at first.

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:50:11AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. uttered:

[ ...] discussion on why I chose Sid on a workstation/laptop.

> I used Etch on my desktop and Laptop for quite a while with little to no loss
> of functionality. I don't really understand why you think you need the latest
> release. I want well-tested software so I can use it instead of fix it or
> wait until it gets fixed. I also want stable software so I'm not having to
> relearn a UI every week or so.

Because some of us have new hardware and stable doesn't work so well
with and/or has antique versions of software. On a desktop/laptop I
want the latest as I use the latest hardware.

With Chromium there is no "stable" or "beta" it's a development
branch. So being the development branch, Debian should be in sync with
upstream, IMHO.

Google-Chrome is the only version that has stable/beta/developer
versions.

> Now, I currently run a mixed system on both my desktop and laptop. It
> includes packages from Lenny, testing, and Sid. I originally did this to be
> able to use KDE SC 4.2. I am hoping that I can switch back to using stable
> Debian for both the desktop and laptop once Squeeze is released.
>
> I also use Debian on a number of servers. I enable a mixed system there as
> well, but I have yet to need to pull any packages from testing or Sid.

Good for you. I use stable on my company's servers because there is no
need for the latest/greatest, stability is more desired as is uptime.

On 05/26/2010 05:49 AM, Steve Fishpaste wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 07:18:12AM -0600, Aaron Toponce uttered:
>> On 05/24/2010 12:42 AM, Javier Barroso wrote:
>>> It is in experimental, and work fine for me:
>>
>> ...but we're not talking about experimental now, are we? :)
>
> Yup I was originally as that's where Chromium was at first.

Sid != experimental. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you started the thread
about Chromium in Sid, not in experimental, and there hasn't been
mention of experimental until now.

So, care to clarify your reply?

--
. O . O . O . . O O . . . O .
. . O . O O O . O . O O . . O

From: John Hasler on
Steve Fishpaste writes:
> With Chromium there is no "stable" or "beta" it's a development
> branch. So being the development branch,

If it truly has no stable (or even beta) branch it should not be
anywhere in Debian except Experimental.

--
John Hasler

On Wednesday 26 May 2010 07:27:02 John Hasler wrote:
> Steve Fishpaste writes:
> > With Chromium there is no "stable" or "beta" it's a development
> > branch. So being the development branch,
>
> If it truly has no stable (or even beta) branch it should not be
> anywhere in Debian except Experimental.

Agreed. Sid is only for packages that may be appropriate for a Debian release
at some point in the future. A development version with no upstream support
for the entire life cycle of a stable release should be nowhere near Sid.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))