From: John Hasler on
Steve Fishpaste writes:
> If they're not going to keep up with upstream, then why in the hell
> bother.

Because they don't share your rather extreme definition of keeping up.

> People want a recent release in a web browser, especially in Sid!

A few weeks old is recent. If you must have current nightlies download
them directly from upstream.
--
John Hasler

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 08:23, Steve Fishpaste
<marathon.durandal(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Good morning folks.
>
> Why is the Chromium-browser in Sid so old? Chromium has been on the
> 6.x branch for a couple of weeks now and Debian is still using the 5.x
> branch.
>
> In my opinion we should keep up with the new releases at least weekly.
> Is this on the agenda to do?

What's wrong with Google's repo?
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ testing non-free

It works fine on my Sid, and "google-chrome-unstable" has been at 6.0.x for
some time.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 08:23, Steve Fishpaste
> <marathon.durandal(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Good morning folks.
> >
> > Why is the Chromium-browser in Sid so old? Chromium has been on the
> > 6.x branch for a couple of weeks now and Debian is still using the 5.x
> > branch.
> >
> > In my opinion we should keep up with the new releases at least weekly.
> > Is this on the agenda to do?
>
> What's wrong with Google's repo?
> deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ testing non-free

What would be wrong if every app would have its own repository ?

There is the problem, isn't it ?

Having an unique repo have many advantages (not need to add / remove
repositories when they start / die)

If a package is in debian, you can know that it is integrated with the
system almost perfectly, if you start adding more and more repositories you
can lost the control. At least, I think so.

Regards,
From: John L Fjellstad on
Javier Barroso <javibarroso(a)gmail.com> writes:

> What would be wrong if every app would have its own repository ?

Nothing

> There is the problem, isn't it ?

No

> Having an unique repo have many advantages (not need to add / remove
> repositories when they start / die)

Having an unique repository for packages that you absolutely have to
have the latest at the moment upstream makes it available is an
advantage. Especially if you disagree with the choices or patches that
the maintainer added to package.

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

On 21/05/10, John Hasler (jhasler(a)debian.org) wrote:

| JohnRChamplin writes:
| > ...which used to be available from unstable, but which I have heard is
| > now in sid.
|
| Unstable _is_ Sid.
|
| In any case, a few weeks is not old.

Thanks for picking up my typo; I meant, of course, to say
"experimental."

--
JohnRChamplin(a)columbus.rr.com
GPG key 1024D/99421A63 2005-01-05