From: Giuseppe Iuculano on
Il 23/05/2010 11:29, Jonathan Nieder ha scritto:
>> In my opinion we should keep up with the new releases at least weekly.
>> Is this on the agenda to do?
>
> No, I do not think it is in the plans any time soon:
>
> - sid is used to stage versions that could potentially be used in
> some stable release. I can’t see a more risky branch than the beta
> channel being used for this.

The Debian package follows the beta channel, the 5.x branch should be
declared stable soon.

> 2. Use Fabien Tassin’s nightly builds ppa[1] from Ubuntu. This is
> not the tip of the development tree but it is close.

I don't recommend this, the Ubuntu build embeds a lot of libs, see[1]

[1]http://www.iuculano.it/en/linux/chromium-pronto-per-unstable/

Cheers,
Giuseppe.

From: Aaron Toponce on
On 05/21/2010 09:23 AM, Steve Fishpaste wrote:
> Why is the Chromium-browser in Sid so old? Chromium has been on the
> 6.x branch for a couple of weeks now and Debian is still using the 5.x
> branch.

You must be rather upset then, that upstream Firefox 3.6 released
January 21, 2010, yet Iceweasel in sid is 3.5.9. We're FOUR MONTHS out
of date with Iceweasel! :)

--
. O . O . O . . O O . . . O .
. . O . O O O . O . O O . . O

From: Javier Barroso on
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> On 05/21/2010 09:23 AM, Steve Fishpaste wrote:
> > Why is the Chromium-browser in Sid so old? Chromium has been on the
> > 6.x branch for a couple of weeks now and Debian is still using the 5.x
> > branch.
>
> You must be rather upset then, that upstream Firefox 3.6 released
> January 21, 2010, yet Iceweasel in sid is 3.5.9. We're FOUR MONTHS out
> of date with Iceweasel! :)

It is in experimental, and work fine for me:
$ apt-cache policy iceweasel
iceweasel:
Instalados: 3.6.4~build2-1
Candidato: 3.6.4~build2-1
Tabla de versión:
*** 3.6.4~build2-1 0
1 http://debian experimental/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
3.5.9-3 0
990 http://debian sid/main Packages
From: Aaron Toponce on
On 05/24/2010 12:42 AM, Javier Barroso wrote:
> It is in experimental, and work fine for me:

...but we're not talking about experimental now, are we? :)

--
. O . O . O . . O O . . . O .
. . O . O O O . O . O O . . O

From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Saturday 22 May 2010 12:08:39 Steve Fishpaste wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:41:38AM -0500, John Hasler uttered:
> > JohnRChamplin writes:
> > > ...which used to be available from unstable, but which I have heard is
> > > now in sid.
> >
> > Unstable _is_ Sid.
> >
> > In any case, a few weeks is not old.
>
> It is on a fast moving target, and especially in the case of a major
> release. Many improvements are rolled into the recent 6.x release.
>
> For those of use that also use Debian on a desktop/Laptop BESIDES a
> server; using old versions isn't usually desireable on the
> workstations where stability isn't as necessary as that of a
> production server.

I used Etch on my desktop and Laptop for quite a while with little to no loss
of functionality. I don't really understand why you think you need the latest
release. I want well-tested software so I can use it instead of fix it or
wait until it gets fixed. I also want stable software so I'm not having to
relearn a UI every week or so.

Now, I currently run a mixed system on both my desktop and laptop. It
includes packages from Lenny, testing, and Sid. I originally did this to be
able to use KDE SC 4.2. I am hoping that I can switch back to using stable
Debian for both the desktop and laptop once Squeeze is released.

I also use Debian on a number of servers. I enable a mixed system there as
well, but I have yet to need to pull any packages from testing or Sid.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))