From: Weather From Hell, CO2 Storms on
Orator <Orator(a)troll.bridge.net> wrote in

--This Commercial Message paid for by Exxon Corp.

From: Hoggle on
kdthrge(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> You hate me and nit pick every little mistake I may make

No, I'm very fair minded. If you ever get anything right I'll
acknowledge it. I am getting a bit bored waiting for that particular
miracle to happen though.

From: Lloyd Parker on
In article <CNqdnYgsx9diJGnZnZ2dnUVZ_r6dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Bob Cain <arcane(a)arcanemethods.com> wrote:
>Hoggle wrote:
>> kdthrge(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>>> Evidence of dark spectroscopic bands is not
>>> evidence of heat retention.
>>
>> And here we get to the heart of your ignorance with respect to
>> greenhouse warming. There is no part of the global warming theory that
>> requires CO2 to warm up as a result of IR absorbtion. The only
>> requirement is that the radiation be absorbed and then re-emitted in a
>> random direction. By so doing, it interrupts the outwards path and
>> allows 50% of the radiation to return earthwards and thus remain part
>> of the overall system. Reducing the escape of energy from the system is
>> the only thing necessary for global warming to be a reality.
>
>At last the heart of the matter. Now, can someone explain, for the
>sake of those like myself who don't know about this stuff, exactly
>what it is about CO2 that gives it special IR absorption properties in
>the wavelengths involved in the earth's re-emission spectrum?
>
>What are those properties? Are there graphs that can be downloaded
>that depict these absorption properties for various atmospheric gases
>as a function of wavelength normalized to the earth's re-emission
>spectrum?

CO2 has vibrational modes whose frequencies fall in the IR region; thus, it
can absorb IR radiation of the corresponding frequencies.

>How can the gas in the trace quantities at which it is present have
>such a large impact on atmospheric temperature?

How can a tiny amount of, say, ricin kill someone?

>How can the low total heat capacity of the atmosphere relative to that
>of the oceans result in significant temperature increase of the
>oceans?

Heat flows from a warm body to a cold one. Sometimes called the zeroth law of
thermodynamics.

From: Lloyd Parker on
In article <1156898658.781949.76020(a)p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
kdthrge(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>Hoggle wrote:
>> kdthrge(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>> > Evidence of dark spectroscopic bands is not
>> > evidence of heat retention.
>>
>> And here we get to the heart of your ignorance with respect to
>> greenhouse warming. There is no part of the global warming theory that
>> requires CO2 to warm up as a result of IR absorbtion. The only
>> requirement is that the radiation be absorbed and then re-emitted in a
>> random direction. By so doing, it interrupts the outwards path and
>> allows 50% of the radiation to return earthwards and thus remain part
>> of the overall system. Reducing the escape of energy from the system is
>> the only thing necessary for global warming to be a reality.
>
>....And here we get to the truth that heat capacity of pure CO2 is
>exactly the same as air and any combined proportions. You hate me and
>nit pick every little mistake I may make, so I will accept your
>acknowlegment that I am correct. You know as well as I do that you
>checked your figures. I least we got that fact out of you Mr.
>scientist....
>
>....Your next paragraph is the usual non-scientific bullshit that has NO
>laboratory data at all to support it. In fact it is impossible because
>data from careful experiments of the opacity of the atmophere
>absolutely preclude this postulate. The atmophere is opaque, TO ALL
>WAVELENGTHS THAT ARE EMMITED IN THE THERMAL OR INFRA-RED AT THE
>TEMPERATURE OF THE EARTH....

What? If so, the earth would be too hot for life.

From: Lloyd Parker on
In article <hm7Jg.20128$rP1.4962(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
Orator <Orator(a)troll.bridge.net> wrote:
>Lloyd Parker wrote:
>
>> In article <z7LIg.19506$rP1.7845(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
>> Orator <Orator(a)troll.bridge.net> wrote:

>>>First of all body temperature isn't measured in the Kelvin.
>>

>> K is the proper way to measure T if you want to look at the energy content.
>
>Horses for courses, hell you don't even have a horse, and are on the
>wrong track anyway!
>

>>>Secondly all
>>>that would result in is a fever, and not a particular serious one
>>>either.
>>

>> A 3 K rise is a 5.4 F rise. I think you'd be pretty sick with a 104 F
fever.

>I prefer real measurements, as in Celsius. It would would amount to
>about 40 degrees, little babies and children often run temperatures up
>to 42C. It is not till 44C you are in serious trouble, or perhaps dead.

Well, a 3 K increase is a 3 C increase. Remember, a K is the same size as a C
deg.

>>>Thirdly it is totally UNrelated to the discussion. It is a
>>>deliberate side tracking the issue! It is also a misrepresentation,
>>>alternately a demonstration of your lack of actual knowledge.
>>

>> It shows that a minor increase in something can have big effects. Didn't
you
>> ever learn about an analogy?
>
>It is utter bullshit and has absolutely no bearing on anything in the
>discussion. It belongs in the realm of second hand car salesmen,
>confidence tricksters, and conjurers.

>>>The question of CO2 is the wrong question.
>>

>> OK, idiot time I see.
>
>You have no need to fess up to it, it is blatantly obvious already.
>
>>>It doesn't prove what you are
>>>out to prove "GW is man made", which is a bogus predetermined answer to
>>>a question you fear to ask because the answer is ridiculously simple.
>>>See below.
>>>
>>>The correct question is:
>>>"What has come on line in the last 150 years to account for the GW"
>>

>> OK, what?
>>

>>>Answer: The end of the Little Ice Age.
>>

>> Happened longer ago, and wasn't global anyway.
>
>The LIA ended at the end about the 1890's. You are again wrong claiming
>"local". Where is your proof of that allegation?
>
>>>As for your "where has all the CO2 humans produce gone?", you have to
>>>first be able to calculate what that is. It cannot be calculated so you
>>>have no question to put in the first place!
>>
>> Yes it is. It's known.
>
>Wrong, it is impossible to know.

Google it; you'll find people do know it.