From: Cyril Brulebois on
(Dropping -release, which isn't a discussion list.)

William Pitcock <nenolod(a)dereferenced.org> (22/05/2010):
> Given that there is no active upstream and that the Debian lilo
> package carries many patches for bug fixes that are alleviated by
> standardizing on grub2, this seems like the best option for Debian.

Speaking of upstream and bug fixing, what about that?
http://bugs.debian.org/src:grub2

> This means that users should *test grub2 extensively* before Squeeze
> is released so that any issues can be resolved now.

There should also be some folks fixing the discovered issues.

Mraw,
KiBi.
From: Kurt Roeckx on
On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 01:11:48PM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> William Pitcock <nenolod(a)dereferenced.org> (22/05/2010):
> > This means that users should *test grub2 extensively* before Squeeze
> > is released so that any issues can be resolved now.
>
> There should also be some folks fixing the discovered issues.

grub2 currently seems to be having 18 RC bugs, plus a whole bunch
of merged bugs, while lilo only has 1 RC bug.

I think the difference is that lilo will probably not work
for a lot of people while grub2 does work for a lot of people.
And I understand that Debian's lilo maintainer basicly doesn't want
to become upstream and rewrite everything when there is an
alternative.

But I agree that a call for extensive testing would be better if
number of RC bugs would be a lot lower.

Kurt

I second the vote to fix/keep lilo as a choice. Testing grub2 is not for the
faint-at-heart because if you cannot boot, you may not be able to recover so
easily using a knoppix CD or such because of newer options, LVM, etc.

The kernels getting too big is a problem indeed!

William,

Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 22:39:52 -0500
From: William Pitcock <nenolod(a)dereferenced.o..>
> (4) Users need to test grub2 now.

I installed it on two machines back in late January.
Ref.

(0.5) We need a Web page containing recent news on progress
with grub-pc in Debian. /usr/share/doc/grub-pc/* is
inaccessible unless the package is installed. debian-boot is
too diverse.

Installing grub-pc again, without some new indication
that it will work, is out of the question.

Best Regards, ... Peter E.

--
Carnot is waiting for a disk replacement; Web pages may not work.
Google "pathology workshop".

On Sun, 23 May 2010 08:05:08 +0200
Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2010-05-23 07:47 +0200, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
> > No, resist forced conformity. This is Linux. We have multiple
> > choice with everything else, so we should darn well have our choice
> > of boot loader.
>
> You're welcome to work on lilo so that can cope with the increasing
> size of kernel images and initramfs.

strictly speaking this is the correct answer.

however, functionally this decision is a "you don't have any real,
practical alternative", you have to use grub. Lack of options is
always bad.

Furthermore asking people to test it is not exactly a minor request.
When it doesn't work you get to break out the rescue disk and go
through some relatively painful work to recover. I know, because I had
to do it.

I for one would really appreciate it if the lilo maintainer could write
just a little bit about the scope of work required to fix it (to this
list). It would be a real shame if lilo goes away.

Brian