From: Edward Allcutt on
On Mon, 24 May 2010, Stephen Powell wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge, it is the *only* bootloader which supports
> setting an initial text video mode *and* does not use any sectors outside
> the master boot record and outside of a partition. If I'm wrong about
> that, someone please correct me.

grub2 supports loading its core.img from a dedicated partition instead
of embedding it in the first "cylinder". This does require switching to
the GPT partitioning scheme which may or may not be acceptable to you.

--
Edward Allcutt

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> writes:

> On Mon, 24 May 2010 05:36:32 -0400 (EDT), Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>> Kurt Roeckx <kurt(a)roeckx.be> wrote:

>>> grub2 currently seems to be having 18 RC bugs, plus a whole bunch
>>> of merged bugs, while lilo only has 1 RC bug.
>>
>> I chatted about this with the grub upstream a couple of days ago.
>> According to Vladimir, most of those bugs are already fixed, but there's
>> nobody around to do a new upload. Both grub maintainers (Felix Zielke
>> and Robert Millan) unexpectedly disappeared some time ago.
>
> What about Jordi Mallach and Colin Watson?

I really don't know, I just echoed what I heard on the #grub IRC
channel. I saw articles from Colin Watson recently, so he's around, but
I don't know how he feels about Grub maintenance.
--
Regards,
Feri.

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> writes:

> On Mon, 24 May 2010 05:29:56 -0400 (EDT), Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Both grub-legacy and grub-pc use sectors on the hard disk outside of
>>> the master boot record [...]
>>
>> You may want to try extlinux, it works much like LILO in this respect.
>
> Thanks for the tip. That may be an option. I looked at the documentation
> online, and there does not appear to be an option equivalent to lilo's
> vga option, though, which I use a lot, especially since svgatextmode
> has already been pulled from squeeze.

I'm not sure what you're after, I haven't used LILO for ages. But
typing vmlinuz-2.6.32 vga=0xf07 at the pxelinux boot prompt gives me a
80x60 console. The other variants use the same code.

>> It lacks a convenient configuration system, but that of grub-legacy
>> would be easy to adapt, and I actually plan to work on this.
>
> if you have the requisite skills to become the equivalent of lilo
> upstream, I think there's a lot of people who would rather that you do
> that, myself included.

Sorry, I don't trust in the future of LILO myself. If there's anything
which only LILO can do, I recommend you start complaining on the
Syslinux and the Grub mailing lists. I suppose it will be heard.
--
Regards,
Feri.

On Mon, 24 May 2010 13:01:30 -0400 (EDT), Edward Allcutt wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> To the best of my knowledge, lilo is the *only* bootloader which supports
>> setting an initial text video mode *and* does not use any sectors outside
>> the master boot record and outside of a partition. If I'm wrong about
>> that, someone please correct me.
>
> grub2 supports loading its core.img from a dedicated partition instead
> of embedding it in the first "cylinder". This does require switching to
> the GPT partitioning scheme which may or may not be acceptable to you.

No, the backup software assumes the traditional MS-DOS hard disk partitioning
scheme. One can get around this by requiring an image backup, but that
has three substantial drawbacks: (1) The entire disk, including free space
and extended partition free space, must be backed up. This takes a lot
more time. (2) A restore can only be done to a disk of the exact same
size as the one backed up. Often, a larger disk must be used because the
model that failed is no longer available on the market. (3) The need
for special backup requirements will be used by the opponents of Linux at
my place of employment to oppose further deployments of Linux, which I wish
to avoid at all costs. But thanks for the info anyway.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Mon, 24 May 2010 13:38:55 -0400 (EDT), Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> writes:
>>>
>>> You may want to try extlinux, it works much like LILO in this respect.
>>
>> Thanks for the tip. That may be an option. I looked at the documentation
>> online, and there does not appear to be an option equivalent to lilo's
>> vga option, though, which I use a lot, especially since svgatextmode
>> has already been pulled from squeeze.
>
> I'm not sure what you're after, I haven't used LILO for ages. But
> typing vmlinuz-2.6.32 vga=0xf07 at the pxelinux boot prompt gives me a
> 80x60 console. The other variants use the same code.

Interesting. At one point, the kernel itself had de-supported the
vga boot option, relying on the boot loader to set the video mode
before transferring control to the kernel. And now you're saying
it's back. Hmm. According to Documentation/svga.txt in the kernel
source tree:

This small document describes the "Video Mode Selection" feature which
allows the use of various special video modes supported by the video BIOS.
Due to usage of the BIOS, the selection is limited to boot time (before
the kernel decompression starts) and works only on 80X86 machines.

Note the wording "before the kernel decompression starts". That to me
implies "done by the bootloader", because the bootloader decompresses
the kernel (if it is compressed) before transferring control to it,
does it not?

The vga option is a separate option in lilo. You can't include it in
the append variable without lilo generating an error. You've got my
curiosity up now. I'll have to try this. I do have a spare computer
with which to test. I'm going to have to try installing Squeeze using
extlinux as the boot loader. (No doubt I'll have to change bootloaders
after installation, as the Debian Installer won't offer that option.)
Then I'll see if I can pass it the vga option and have it work. And
if that works, then I'll try the backup, nuke, and restore scenario.
And if that works, then I may have a viable alternative to lilo.
I'll let you know how it goes.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :