From: Stephen Powell on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:11:30 -0400 (EDT), William Pitcock wrote:
> "Stephen Powell" <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:
>> (blah blah blah blah)
>
> Nobody cares if you are opposed to it. Unless you are offering to become
> lilo upstream, it's going away.
>
> William

I do understand why a Debian package maintainer does not wish to become
"upstream". And I hope that someone who is both willing and able to do
so steps up to the plate. But withdrawing it from the distribution seems
like overkill to me, especially since you want to withdraw it from Squeeze
and not Squeeze+1. Lilo, as it exists today, works just fine for my
purposes. And apparently it works just fine for a lot of other people too.

The Lord bless you, William.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Kurt Roeckx <kurt(a)roeckx.be> writes:

> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 01:11:48PM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>> William Pitcock <nenolod(a)dereferenced.org> (22/05/2010):
>>> This means that users should *test grub2 extensively* before Squeeze
>>> is released so that any issues can be resolved now.
>>
>> There should also be some folks fixing the discovered issues.
>
> grub2 currently seems to be having 18 RC bugs, plus a whole bunch
> of merged bugs, while lilo only has 1 RC bug.

I chatted about this with the grub upstream a couple of days ago.
According to Vladimir, most of those bugs are already fixed, but there's
nobody around to do a new upload. Both grub maintainers (Felix Zielke
and Robert Millan) unexpectedly disappeared some time ago.
--
Regards,
Feri.

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> writes:

> Both grub-legacy and grub-pc use sectors on the hard disk outside of
> the master boot record [...] This breaks the design of the backup
> software that my employer uses. This backup software backs up the
> master boot record and all partitions; but since the extra sectors
> used by grub-legacy and grub-pc are outside the master boot record and
> are not part of any partition, they don't get backed up.
> Consequently, if we have a hard drive failure and restore from a
> backup, we have an unbootable machine. Lilo uses only the master boot
> record. A lilo-booted machine can be backed up and restored with our
> existing backup software just fine.

You may want to try extlinux, it works much like LILO in this respect.
It lacks a convenient configuration system, but that of grub-legacy
would be easy to adapt, and I actually plan to work on this.
--
Regards,
Feri.

On Mon, 24 May 2010 05:36:32 -0400 (EDT), Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Kurt Roeckx <kurt(a)roeckx.be> wrote:
>> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 01:11:48PM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>>> William Pitcock <nenolod(a)dereferenced.org> (22/05/2010):
>>>
>>> There should also be some folks fixing the discovered issues.
>>
>> grub2 currently seems to be having 18 RC bugs, plus a whole bunch
>> of merged bugs, while lilo only has 1 RC bug.
>
> I chatted about this with the grub upstream a couple of days ago.
> According to Vladimir, most of those bugs are already fixed, but there's
> nobody around to do a new upload. Both grub maintainers (Felix Zielke
> and Robert Millan) unexpectedly disappeared some time ago.

What about Jordi Mallach and Colin Watson? The package page for grub-pc

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/grub-pc

lists them as maintainers too. Have they disappeared as well? Or are
they no longer maintainers for this package? In which case their names
should be removed from the web page.

Somehow I feel a dip in motivation.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Mon, 24 May 2010 05:29:56 -0400 (EDT), Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> writes:
>>
>> Both grub-legacy and grub-pc use sectors on the hard disk outside of
>> the master boot record [...] This breaks the design of the backup
>> software that my employer uses. This backup software backs up the
>> master boot record and all partitions; but since the extra sectors
>> used by grub-legacy and grub-pc are outside the master boot record and
>> are not part of any partition, they don't get backed up.
>> Consequently, if we have a hard drive failure and restore from a
>> backup, we have an unbootable machine. Lilo uses only the master boot
>> record. A lilo-booted machine can be backed up and restored with our
>> existing backup software just fine.
>
> You may want to try extlinux, it works much like LILO in this respect.
> It lacks a convenient configuration system, but that of grub-legacy
> would be easy to adapt, and I actually plan to work on this.

Thanks for the tip. That may be an option. I looked at the documentation
online, and there does not appear to be an option equivalent to lilo's
vga option, though, which I use a lot, especially since svgatextmode
has already been pulled from squeeze. As of right now, if lilo was
pulled from the distribution, I think I'd be inclined to build my own
lilo package from source before switching to any other bootloader.
To the best of my knowledge, it is the *only* bootloader which supports
setting an initial text video mode *and* does not use any sectors outside
the master boot record and outside of a partition. If I'm wrong about
that, someone please correct me.

As for a "convenient configuration system", editing a plain text
file is plenty good enough for me. Your time is yours
to use as you see fit; but if you have the requisite skills to become
the equivalent of lilo upstream, I think there's a lot of people
who would rather that you do that, myself included. I'd do it myself
if I had the necessary skills and knowledge. But I don't.

Thanks again for the tip.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :