From: Daniel Baumann on
On 05/24/2010 11:29 AM, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> You may want to try extlinux, it works much like LILO in this respect.
> It lacks a convenient configuration system, but that of grub-legacy
> would be easy to adapt, and I actually plan to work on this.

sometime ago i've added extliux-install and update-extlinux. if fits my
setups well, however, any other/better ideas how to improve it are very
welcome, see #573042 for more information.

--
Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email: daniel.baumann(a)panthera-systems.net

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> writes:

> On Mon, 24 May 2010 13:38:55 -0400 (EDT), Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>> Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> writes:

>>> Thanks for the tip. That may be an option. I looked at the documentation
>>> online, and there does not appear to be an option equivalent to lilo's
>>> vga option, though, which I use a lot, especially since svgatextmode
>>> has already been pulled from squeeze.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you're after, I haven't used LILO for ages. But
>> typing vmlinuz-2.6.32 vga=0xf07 at the pxelinux boot prompt gives me a
>> 80x60 console. The other variants use the same code.
>
> Interesting. At one point, the kernel itself had de-supported the
> vga boot option, relying on the boot loader to set the video mode
> before transferring control to the kernel. And now you're saying
> it's back. Hmm. According to Documentation/svga.txt in the kernel
> source tree:
>
> This small document describes the "Video Mode Selection" feature which
> allows the use of various special video modes supported by the video BIOS.
> Due to usage of the BIOS, the selection is limited to boot time (before
> the kernel decompression starts) and works only on 80X86 machines.
>
> Note the wording "before the kernel decompression starts". That to me
> implies "done by the bootloader", because the bootloader decompresses
> the kernel (if it is compressed) before transferring control to it,
> does it not?

It does not, the kernel is sort of a self-decompressing binary.
However, the vga= parameter is indeed parsed by the bootloader and
passed to the kernel by a special protocol. It's then used before the
kernel parses its command line.

> I'm going to have to try installing Squeeze using extlinux as the boot
> loader. (No doubt I'll have to change bootloaders after installation,
> as the Debian Installer won't offer that option.)

Yes, you'll have to back out of Grub installation, start a shell, chroot
into /target, and install exlinux. Take care to have /boot on an ext2
partition.
--
Good luck!
Feri.

Le dimanche 23 mai 2010 à 20:48 -0400, Stephen Powell a écrit :
> I do understand why a Debian package maintainer does not wish to become
> "upstream". And I hope that someone who is both willing and able to do
> so steps up to the plate. But withdrawing it from the distribution seems
> like overkill to me, especially since you want to withdraw it from Squeeze
> and not Squeeze+1. Lilo, as it exists today, works just fine for my
> purposes. And apparently it works just fine for a lot of other people too.

Debian stable releases are not here to serve as a repository for
orphaned packages. We are supposed to keep them in shape for the
lifetime of the release.

> The Lord bless you, William.

May His noodly appendage touch you.

Ramen,
--
.''`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :
From: Josselin Mouette on
Le lundi 24 mai 2010 à 20:46 +0200, Daniel Baumann a écrit :
> On 05/24/2010 11:29 AM, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> > You may want to try extlinux, it works much like LILO in this respect.
> > It lacks a convenient configuration system, but that of grub-legacy
> > would be easy to adapt, and I actually plan to work on this.
>
> sometime ago i've added extliux-install and update-extlinux. if fits my
> setups well, however, any other/better ideas how to improve it are very
> welcome, see #573042 for more information.

Could this also be eventually added as an alternative to grub2 in the
installer?

--
.''`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :
From: Daniel Baumann on
On 05/24/2010 10:07 PM, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Could this also be eventually added as an alternative to grub2 in the
> installer?

i've talked with otavio about this already a year ago, as i'm much in
favour[0] of extlinux over grub2 anyway, but i didn't got arround to
finally push it. if anyone has time before debconf/debcamp, that would
be great. otherwise, i hope to have a look together with otavio at
debconf/debcamp (if he accepts my bribes with chocolate :).

[0]
http://blog.daniel-baumann.ch/2009/11/30#20091130_extlinux-as-alternative-bootloader