From: Samuel Thibault on
Paul Vojta, le Thu 27 May 2010 00:47:14 +0000, a �crit :
> In article <eNJN8-64S-21(a)gated-at.bofh.it>,
> Ferenc Wagner <wferi(a)niif.hu> wrote:
> >
> >Sorry, I don't trust in the future of LILO myself. If there's anything
> >which only LILO can do, I recommend you start complaining on the
> >Syslinux and the Grub mailing lists. I suppose it will be heard.
>
> Does either grub2 or syslinux allow for single-key booting?

It is available in the experimental branch of grub2.

Samuel

>> > for much. But I am opposed to the removal of lilo.
>> > Both grub-legacy and grub-pc use sectors on the hard disk outside
>> > of the master boot record (cylinder 0, head 0, sector 1). In other
>> > words they use cylinder 0, head 0, sector 2 and possibly subsequent
>> > sectors on cylinder 0 head 0.
>> Really?
> Yes.

That sucks.

>> and it sounds very odd: why would they do that when they can use
>> sectors on specified partitions?
> Because the question is "where?".

Inside a file, like LILO does.

> The lilo approach is "inside the filesystem", which can break.
> The grub approach is "right after MBR", which needs room there.

But you can install Grub in a partition (rather than the MBR), so how
does it work then?

>> grub (legacy) can be installed in any partition. IIUC grub2 is limited to
>> being installed in the MBR.
> Due to the differing sizes, yes.

Why does the size make any difference? At least for the Lilo-like
technique, size is not an issue.

Stefan

In gmane.linux.debian.devel.general Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:
> But like lilo it stays out of unallocated (and therefore not backed up)
> sectors. The boot block of extlinux is installed in the boot sector
> of a partition, and the second stage loader occupies a file within the
> partition. It does not use the master boot record. It relies on a
> master boot record program to chain load it from the partition boot
> sector. (I use the mbr package for that.)

BTW, you can install grub exactly the same way. I usually do this because
I absolutely don't like the idea to install something as important as a
boot loader into unallocated sectors. Just do "grub-install /dev/sda1"
and Grub will adapt its installation procedure accordingly. It's a pity
that this isn't documented more prominently...

Martin

Stefan Monnier, le Thu 27 May 2010 00:58:14 -0400, a �crit :
> >> Really?
> > Yes.
>
> That sucks.
>
> >> and it sounds very odd: why would they do that when they can use
> >> sectors on specified partitions?
> > Because the question is "where?".
>
> Inside a file, like LILO does.
>
> > The lilo approach is "inside the filesystem", which can break.
> > The grub approach is "right after MBR", which needs room there.
>
> But you can install Grub in a partition (rather than the MBR), so how
> does it work then?

Grub1 could because it was small enough to fit in a well-known usable
area in the ext2fs filesystem, but grub2 can not any more.

> >> grub (legacy) can be installed in any partition. IIUC grub2 is limited to
> >> being installed in the MBR.
> > Due to the differing sizes, yes.
>
> Why does the size make any difference?

Because the availabnle well-known areas have limited size.

> At least for the Lilo-like technique, size is not an issue.

Yes, but the file moving in the filesystem is an issue.

Samuel

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Grub1 could because it was small enough to fit in a well-known usable
> area in the ext2fs filesystem, but grub2 can not any more.

In the filesystem, you're sure? I'm curious, what part?

> [snip]

-t