From: ben6993 on

From: ben6993 on
<Re-posted message after further snipping for brevity!>

On Mar 25, 9:23 am, "Y.Porat" <y.y.po...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

<snip for brevity>

> ddi you ever think that the gamma factor of relativity
> DOES NOT AT ALL APPLY TO THE PHOTON CASE ??!!
> because of a simpekl thing:
> waht is Gamma for the velocity of the photon c !!!???
> it is a rhetoric question !!....

Yes, I agree that we cannot use the contraction formula itself on a
photon. But my point was that I do not know what a photon looks like
in its own framwork. In my framework it must appear as small as
possible as it is travelling at speed c, but that is only reasoning by
analogy with the contraction of a fast moving object.

> ------------
>
> > Whereas all electrons are identical, not all photons are identical.
> > Even though a photon is contained within a Planck cube size, and is
> > created in an instant, it can have large or small energy.

> how by being a big or small photon !!!
> in thatr casse you get the above mensioned problem of the need
> tosplitting that big photon to smaller photons
> des it make sense to you ???

I see it differently. Different quanta can have different energies.

> but i am looking for the one
> WITH ONLY ONE AMOUNT OF ENERGY!!
> that is all the dispute here !!!

Yes, I agree that this is the cause of the differences in viewpoints.
You are looking for a basic smallest-energy photon, whereas all
photons are indivisible but yet are not all identical. And there is
no smallest-energy photon.

> let s forgot now even the photon and electron issue
> ----------------
> now at last a have a question to you
> AS FAR AS YOU KNOW
> and no mater if it is right or wrong !!
>
> who was (is) the first one to suggest the Planck time
> as the emission time for the smallest possible
> PHOTON ENERGY !!

On Feb 21, 10:10 pm, Artful wrote:
"Here is a logical proof for you that an indivisible object MUST be
created instantly." Etc etc. ...

That is the earliest time, I think, at which I met the idea of
instantaneous emission in these threads.
From: Androcles on

"ben6993" <ben6993(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <Re-posted message after further snipping for brevity!>
>

> On Mar 25, 9:23 am, "Y.Porat" <y.y.po...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip for brevity>
>
>> ddi you ever think that the gamma factor of relativity
>> DOES NOT AT ALL APPLY TO THE PHOTON CASE ??!!
>> because of a simpekl thing:
>> waht is Gamma for the velocity of the photon c !!!???
>> it is a rhetoric question !!....
>
> Yes, I agree that we cannot use the contraction formula itself on a
> photon.

You can't use it for anything at all since it is an expansion formula.
sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) is less than unity, anything divided by something less
than 1 becomes greater, e.g. 2 = 1/(0.5).
How many idiots make five?

From: PD on
On Mar 24, 9:30 pm, "Y.Porat" <y.y.po...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > > is time dependent ??
>
> > See above.  The energy of that particular individual photon is a fixed
> > constant for all time, not just in the current emission.
>
> > > 2
> > > do you understand that the amount of photon energy
> > > that are active less then a a  second
> > > **is less** than that that is active during *one second ??*
>
> > > even if it was done b  many (actually a huge number of single photons
> > > that no one of them was active
> > > one second but less than one second  ??
>
> > You may be surprised that I actually find it hard to follow what you
> > mean by the above as what you are writing seems so different from the
> > way I see it.  From my point of view the energy in a photon is an
> > indivisible constant. (But different photons can have different
> > energies, of course.) It does not really matter how long it is
> > "active" (if you mean by active ... "how long it is in
> > transmission").  If you mean by "active" ... "how long it is in
> > emission" then that is from one instant to the next i.e. emitted
> > within a Planck time interval.
>
> > I just can't see how time affects the energy in a photon.  It is a
> > constant in emission and re-emission who knows how many times that
> > energy in a particular photon can be re-emitted.
>
> > > 3
> > > do   you understand that if so
> > > E=hf   that is one second defined
> > > because f is one second defined !!!-!!!!---
>
> > > ---->  is not the definition  niether of  one single *real* photon
> > > nor of many of them acting   less then a second ???of
> > > iow
> > > ***there are real single photons**
> > >   (no matter how many of them  but all of them
> > > were active **less** than a second  )
> > I paused after para 2. above and skipped para 3. as enough differences
> > had already occurred.  Save para 3. for another day as there is enough
> > in 1. and 2, I believe.
>
> > Ben
>
> ----------------------
> if it is so    hard for you
> let us discus the **photoelectric** effect:
>
> the   photoelectic effect shows us two things
>  NOT JUST ONE THING
>
> 1
> THAT THE  AMOUNT OF  ENERGY
> THAT PHOTONS CARRY IS
> TIME DEPENDENT!
> (because it is delivering its energy to  the electrons!!)
> AND ELECTRONS IN THAT EFFECT FLOW
> IN A CONSTANT STREAM THAT IS LINEARLY
> PROPORTIONAL TO ELAPSE OF TIME
> it can be measured by an Ampermeter
> while an ampere   meter measures the number of electrons  passing  as
> a function of time!
> right ??
>
> 2
> that above flow of electrons in the photoelectric effect
> can be  done
>  (under the   same  exact start conditions
> as in case 1 !!) ---->
> IN    LESS THAN A SECOND as well   !!
> (ie the same electron intensity flow
> during    less then a second as well )!!!

Porat, I cannot believe you are having difficulty with this, so I'm
going to give you a simple example so you can see.

Consider raindrops. Raindrops come in different sizes, some large,
some small. The amount of water in a raindrop is related to its
diameter. But once a raindrop is created, the amount of water in it is
the same.

Now, you can look at a pail of water in a rainstorm, and you can ask,
"Is the amount of water in the bucket time dependent?" The answer is
obviously yes. If you wait for two hours, the amount of water in the
bucket will be twice as much as the amount of water in one hour.

But if you then conclude from this statement that the amount of water
in a raindrop is time-dependent, and that a raindrop that takes two
hours to arrive is twice as large as a raindrop that takes one hour to
arrive, then you've obviously made a big mistake.

The reason there is twice as much water in the bucket after two hours
is not because the raindrops took longer to get there and not because
the raindrops are twice as big, but because twice as MANY raindrops
that have landed in the bucket.

And again, if you ask, is the size of the raindrop related to how long
the raindrop took to get there, the answer is obviously NO. The amount
of water in the raindrop is related to the diameter of the raindrop,
not how long it took to get there.

And so there is no "smallest raindrop" that has anything to do with
time.

Now, if you take all of these sentences above and substitute "energy"
for "water", and "photon" for "raindrop", then you should be able to
make some sense of photons.

PD
From: ben6993 on
On Mar 25, 12:36 pm, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_w>
wrote:
> "ben6993" <ben6...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > <Re-posted message after further snipping for brevity!>
>
> > On Mar 25, 9:23 am, "Y.Porat" <y.y.po...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > <snip for brevity>
>
> >> ddi you ever think that the gamma factor of relativity
> >>  DOES NOT AT ALL  APPLY TO THE  PHOTON CASE ??!!
> >>  because of a simpekl thing:
> >> waht is Gamma for the velocity of the photon  c   !!!???
> >> it is a rhetoric question !!....
>
> > Yes, I agree that we cannot use the contraction formula itself on a
> > photon.
>
> You can't use it for anything at all since it is an expansion formula.
> sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) is less than unity, anything divided by something less
> than 1 becomes greater, e.g.  2 = 1/(0.5).
> How many idiots make five?

Androcles, I haven't ignored your view. I do see what you mean.
However, everyone else commenting seems to think you are wrong, and
your view dates back to at least 2002? But I am working on it, and
also reading up on it, and I won't rest too easily until I too can see
why you are wrong. As you know, the formulae you previously quoted,
in 1905 paper para 3, are for transforming coordinates rather than
lengths, so the length contraction still needs to be drawn out of the
formulae. I always need to tread very slowly with SR as, just when I
think I know something, the logic disappears again.