From: Cecil Knutson on
Stephen,
> Just out of curiosity, where is "here". In other words, where are you
> physically located? And what type of internet connectivity do you have?
> async dial-up? cable modem? DSL?

"Here" is Vancouver, Washington with a DSL connection through a router/hub
with Qwest. In PA I had FiOS with Verizon.

> pretty
> sure that you are still limited to a maximum of four partitions (four
> primary
> or three primary and one extended). But the extended partition can have
> multiple logical drives, and you can install pieces of Linux in both
> primary
> partitions and logical drives.

Yes, Windows only allows one primary partition, Debian Linux three
(counting the Swap partition), any other partition has to be an extended,
and it can be divided into no more logical partitions than the letters in
the alphabet (minus the default A: and B: for the floppy drives). Windows
7 Ultimate will only create four partitions (one primary) and
automatically creates a 100MB partition for "necessary" system files. In
my instance, that 100MB partition was always D: with C: as the first. I
finally resorted to a German version of Windows XP Multimedia Center 2005
to create more partitions to divide the 1.5TB HD being used.

I will have to buy another sound card as every other machine I have has
on-board sound chips. Or see if anyone I know has a spare sound card.

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:44:29 -0500 (EST), Cecil Knutson wrote:
> I will have to buy another sound card as every other machine I have has
> on-board sound chips. Or see if anyone I know has a spare sound card.

In that case, are you sure I can't talk you into trying a newer kernel from
backports? Granted, your sound card is old enough to be supported by the
2.6.26 kernel that is standard with Lenny, but that doesn't mean that there
isn't a bug somewhere. I've seen a couple of other "no sound" threads since
you opened yours. Maybe a security update broke something, who knows?
Anyway, if you try a new kernel and it doesn't work for you, it's easy
enough to switch back.

Or you can try installing Linux on one of those other machines, with or
without wiping Windows.

Or you can break down, crack that wallet open,
and buy a sound card, not knowing if it will work either. If you buy one,
buy an old one that isn't driven by the driver that doesn't work for your
sound card or the blacklisted one.

Stephen,
> In that case, are you sure I can't talk you into trying a newer kernel
> from backports? Granted, your sound card is old enough to be supported
> by the
> 2.6.26 kernel that is standard with Lenny, but that doesn't mean that
> there isn't a bug somewhere. I've seen a couple of other "no sound"
> threads since you opened yours. Maybe a security update broke
> something, who knows? Anyway, if you try a new kernel and it doesn't
> work for you, it's easy
> enough to switch back.
Sure, you can talk me into it, if you will also talk me through it. It is
another procedure that is completely new to me.

> Or you can try installing Linux on one of those other machines, with or
> without wiping Windows.
I found out that another machine does have SATA controllers, so it would
be the obvious choice for just swapping the HD out of the Dimension 8400.
Does that make sense?

> Or you can break down, crack that wallet open, and buy a sound card, not
> knowing if it will work either. If you buy one, buy an old one that
> isn't driven by the driver that doesn't work for your sound card or the
> blacklisted one.
Already found someone who has a bedroom full of salvaged computer parts.
My brother will see if he has one or two sound cards.

Cecil Knutson writes:
> Debian Linux three (counting the Swap partition), any other partition
> has to be an extended...

The standard pc partition scheme allows either four primary partitions
or three primaries and one extended. This limitation is imposed by the
scheme, not by Windows or Linux. An extended partition can contain any
number of logical partitions but Linux can only address a total of 63
partitions.
--
John Hasler

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:31:38 -0500 (EST), John Hasler wrote:
> Cecil Knutson writes:
>> Debian Linux three (counting the Swap partition), any other partition
>> has to be an extended...
>
> The standard pc partition scheme allows either four primary partitions
> or three primaries and one extended. This limitation is imposed by the
> scheme, not by Windows or Linux. An extended partition can contain any
> number of logical partitions but Linux can only address a total of 63
> partitions.

I think what Cecil meant was that fdisk under Windows only allows one
primary partition to be created, although I am not in a position to
verify that; and because of the drive letter assignment scheme, a
maximum of 24 logical drives in an extended partition can be addressed
by Windows (C-Z), with A and B being reserved for floppy drives.
Linux fdisk (or cfdisk, or sfdisk, or GNU parted) can create up to
four primary partitions or three primary partitions and one extended
partition.