From: Lisi on
On Monday 22 February 2010 16:44:41 Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:57:42 -0500 (EST), Lisi wrote:
> > On Monday 22 February 2010 14:45:11 Stephen Powell wrote:
> >> I earlier recommended gedit, which is a graphical text
> >> editor for the GNOME desktop environment.  I thought that's what you
> >> were running.  I didn't realize you were using KDE.
> >
> > Kwrite in KDE is a good compromise between vi and word-processors, and I
> > would say is at a similar "level" to gedit in Gnome. Assuming KDE 3.5.x;
>
> The reason that I don't recommend the use of word processors to edit
> text files, even though they *can*, is that by default they usually
> save their files in a word-processing format, rather than as plain text.
> Having no experience with KDE, I assumed that Kwrite was a word processor.
> Apparently not. My mistake. But I also wanted to give him some
> experience with an editor that can be used in a virtual console environment
> (i.e. with no X server running). Some day he may do something, such as
> hose up his X config file, that will prevent his X server from starting.
> As a matter of fact, I've helped a couple of users recently who
> couldn't get their X servers to run. The last I checked, one of them
> still can't. If Cecil can't use any non-graphical editors, he'll be up a
> creek without a paddle in this situation. Also, getting his Kwrite session
> to run as root is an additional complication. I don't know about KDE, but
> GNOME, by default, doesn't even allow the root user to login to the X
> console. Since I don't know how to get Kwrite to run as root, I suggested
> nano in a terminal session as root, which is very intuitive.
>
> In the final analysis, I don't care what text editor he uses, as long as
> he can get it to run under the root user.
> But I thought I should explain the rationale behind my recommendation.
> Besides, he used to use DOS;
> so the command line interface is not completely foreign to him.

I agree - but I must confess to using Kwrite myself if I have X available. If
not, of course, I use Vi/Vim - tho' even there I use Vim if it is
available. :-(

In Lenny with KDE, running an X application as root can, I think, only be done
via kdesu and the Launcher.

Lisi

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:57:32 -0500 (EST), Lisi wrote:

> I agree - but I must confess to using Kwrite myself if I have X available. If
> not, of course, I use Vi/Vim - tho' even there I use Vim if it is
> available. :-(
>
> In Lenny with KDE, running an X application as root can, I think, only be done
> via kdesu and the Launcher.

Another advantage to nano is that it is the editor that is provided
by the Debian Installer when you escape to a shell from within the installer,
such as running the installer in rescue mode to fix an unbootable system.
I forgot to mention that.

I support Linux on many systems that don't have X installed. Consequently,
even on systems that have X installed I find myself using vi to edit files,
even though gedit is available, because I'm so familiar with vi.
But I digress.

Thanks, Stephen. I've made several mistakes: was in Krusader when I
double-clicked "blacklist"; assumed that SU-ing in a terminal rendered all
that follows as root activity. So, I opened a terminal; SU'd; CD'd to
/etc/modprobe.d; issued the command "nano local"; typed in the line:
blacklist snd_intel8x0; issued a "Write Out" command; exited Nano; typed
ls; saw the file "local" in /modprobe.d; closed the terminal; re-started;
opened a terminal window; SU'd; typed alsamixer; got the same display as
before: no changes in the headings. I did not remove any modules, I
physically removed the modem adapter card. I did read about creating the
"local" file but nothing was said as to where to put it and I didn't
assume that it would be in /modprobe.d. So, when I saw the blacklist file
and it looked like it would fulfill the purpose, I tried it. I do notice
the prompt change from $ to # and recognize it as indicating root status.
I installed several of the KDE programs just because I am more familiar
with them, but the GUI is the Lenny default, GNOME. I will try vi and
gedit and see how I do with them, thanks for the recommendation. BTW, is
UTF-8 the same as "plain text"?

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:42:27 -0500 (EST), Cecil Knutson wrote:

> Thanks, Stephen. I've made several mistakes: was in Krusader when I
> double-clicked "blacklist"; assumed that SU-ing in a terminal rendered all
> that follows as root activity.

No, only in that terminal session. All graphical desktop applications
run under the user which logged in to the graphical desktop.

> So, I opened a terminal; SU'd; CD'd to
> /etc/modprobe.d; issued the command "nano local"; typed in the line:
> blacklist snd_intel8x0; issued a "Write Out" command; exited Nano; typed
> ls; saw the file "local" in /modprobe.d;

Uh, you saw it where? I hope you meant /etc/modprobe.d. That's where
it has to be.

> closed the terminal; re-started;
> opened a terminal window; SU'd; typed alsamixer; got the same display as
> before: no changes in the headings.

:-(

> I did not remove any modules, I
> physically removed the modem adapter card.

It's just as well. But to keep airflow within the system as the designers
assumed, it's a good idea to install a slot cover where the card used
to be, if you have one.

> I did read about creating the
> "local" file but nothing was said as to where to put it and I didn't
> assume that it would be in /modprobe.d.

That web page is all one continuous narrative. Assume that it goes
in the last directory "cd"ed to unless otherwise noted.

> So, when I saw the blacklist file
> and it looked like it would fulfill the purpose, I tried it. I do notice
> the prompt change from $ to # and recognize it as indicating root status.
> I installed several of the KDE programs just because I am more familiar
> with them, but the GUI is the Lenny default, GNOME.

> I will try vi and
> gedit and see how I do with them, thanks for the recommendation. BTW, is
> UTF-8 the same as "plain text"?

Strictly speaking, UTF-8 is a type of character encoding and can be used
with multiple file formats, not just plain text.

OK, so where do we go from here? First, verify that "local" is indeed
present in /etc/modprobe.d. Second, verify that /etc/modprobe.conf does
*not* exist. Third, issue

cat /etc/modprobe.d/local

and make sure its outut is as expected (i.e. the file is in plain text format.)
Fourth, issue "lsmod" and check to make sure that the
blacklisted module is not loaded. If all three of these things check
out, then I'd like to see the output of dmesg.

Also, check to make sure that the following packages are installed:

alsa-base
alsa-utils

(You can check by means of

dpkg-query -l alsa-base|grep ii

for example.)

Also, try another "lspci" to see if removing the internal modem card
also resulted in the Intel audio controller disappearing.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 19:36:18 -0800, Cecil Knutson wrote:
> dimension8400:/home/cecil# grep '.*' /proc/asound/* /proc/asound/card?/*
> /proc/asound/cards: 0 [CA0106 ]: CA0106 - CA0106
> /proc/asound/cards: Live! 7.1 24bit [SB0413] at 0xcce0 irq 17
> /proc/asound/cards: 1 [ICH6 ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH6
> /proc/asound/cards: Intel ICH6 with AD1980 at irq 23

That looks good; the soundblaster is the first card. (That is what you
want to do, use the SB and not the ICH6, right?) There should not be any
need to blacklist the intel modules.

> /proc/asound/devices: 0: [ 0] : control
> /proc/asound/devices: 1: : sequencer
> /proc/asound/devices: 8: [ 0- 0]: raw midi
> /proc/asound/devices: 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
> /proc/asound/devices: 17: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
> /proc/asound/devices: 18: [ 0- 2]: digital audio playback
> /proc/asound/devices: 19: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
> /proc/asound/devices: 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
> /proc/asound/devices: 25: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
> /proc/asound/devices: 26: [ 0- 2]: digital audio capture
> /proc/asound/devices: 27: [ 0- 3]: digital audio capture
> /proc/asound/devices: 32: [ 1] : control
> /proc/asound/devices: 33: : timer
> /proc/asound/devices: 48: [ 1- 0]: digital audio playback
> /proc/asound/devices: 52: [ 1- 4]: digital audio playback
> /proc/asound/devices: 56: [ 1- 0]: digital audio capture
> /proc/asound/devices: 57: [ 1- 1]: digital audio capture
> /proc/asound/devices: 58: [ 1- 2]: digital audio capture
> /proc/asound/devices: 59: [ 1- 3]: digital audio capture

That seems to be fine, too.

> /proc/asound/modules: 0 snd_ca0106
> /proc/asound/modules: 1 snd_intel8x0

The correct modules are loaded.

[ snip: I did not see anything unusual in the rest, either. ]

> /proc/asound/version:Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.

[...]

Your sound(blaster) should work as far as I can tell. Either you have
run into a bug of the driver (your version of ALSA is rather outdated),
a hardware problem (I seem to remember that you said that the card
works fine under another operating system, but I might be mixing up
threads), or your mixer settings are wrong. My guess would be the mixer
settings, so please post the output of:

amixer
aplay -lL

--