From: Cecil Knutson on
Stephen,
Excuse me, I did not complete the assignment last time, alsa-utils and
cdtool are both installed. They are shown in Synaptic as being installed
and, when I issued the dpkg-query command for them, they were identified
just as was alsa-base. I didn't realize that separate commands were
needed, so it looked like alsa-utils was not installed.
No, there are no audio jacks on the system other than those on the sound
adapter card. The card is connected to the front headphone jack by an
internal cable, which is the only other audio jack on the system. The
adapter card was with the system when I got it. I did not get this system
new, but from a recycling service, so I don't know what was originally
packaged with the system. FYI: there are four jacks on the card:
mic/digital-out (blue), out 1 (green), out 2 (black), out 3 (yellow).
I can remove the heat-sink of the unidentified chip, wipe off the
conductive cream and see if it is a sound chip, if you so desire, although
I have seen many systems come through the recycling service and not one
had a sound chip with a heat-sink on it. Since the unit is identified in
lspci as an 82801 family and that is the number of the chipset, it makes
sense that it is integrated into the chipset, but I don't know for sure.
I'll see if I can find out at the Intel site if the 82801 family
integrates sound into the chipset. Yes, it does: Intel HD audio
Technology and Intel AC97 Technology. So, why didn't setting all the
"Devices" categories in the Sound Preferences dialog window to "CA0106"
work? I tried that along with setting them all to Alsa, Autodetect, and
ICH958. Hmmm. Now there is no ICH958 choice in the various device
selections. What do you think? I also noted that there are four "CA0106"
choices in Sound Events, Music and Movies, and Sound Playback, doe it
matter which of the four is chosen?

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 01:54:34 -0500 (EST), Cecil Knutson wrote:

> Stephen,
> Excuse me, I did not complete the assignment last time, alsa-utils and
> cdtool are both installed. They are shown in Synaptic as being installed
> and, when I issued the dpkg-query command for them, they were identified
> just as was alsa-base. I didn't realize that separate commands were
> needed, so it looked like alsa-utils was not installed.

OK, good.

> No, there are no audio jacks on the system other than those on the sound
> adapter card. The card is connected to the front headphone jack by an
> internal cable, which is the only other audio jack on the system.

Strange. This Intel chip appears to be a full-function audio chip.
But with no way to get data into or out of it, it's useless.

> The adapter card was with the system when I got it. I did not get this
> system new, but from a recycling service, so I don't know what was
> originally packaged with the system. FYI: there are four jacks on the card:
> mic/digital-out (blue), out 1 (green), out 2 (black), out 3 (yellow).

OK

> I can remove the heat-sink of the unidentified chip, wipe off the
> conductive cream and see if it is a sound chip, if you so desire, although
> I have seen many systems come through the recycling service and not one
> had a sound chip with a heat-sink on it. Since the unit is identified in
> lspci as an 82801 family and that is the number of the chipset, it makes
> sense that it is integrated into the chipset, but I don't know for sure.
> I'll see if I can find out at the Intel site if the 82801 family
> integrates sound into the chipset. Yes, it does: Intel HD audio
> Technology and Intel AC97 Technology.

No, don't remove the heat sink.
So they integrated a sound chip into the chipset but then didn't provide
any way to access it. Very strange. What a waste.

> So, why didn't setting all the
> "Devices" categories in the Sound Preferences dialog window to "CA0106"
> work? I tried that along with setting them all to Alsa, Autodetect, and
> ICH958.

Again, you've got to walk before you can run. I know you want to get
sound working on the desktop. That's your ultimate goal. But first
we have to get sound working at all. Let's concentrate on that.

> Hmmm. Now there is no ICH958 choice in the various device
> selections. What do you think?

That's because you blacklisted the driver for it. That's good.

> I also noted that there are four "CA0106"
> choices in Sound Events, Music and Movies, and Sound Playback, does it
> matter which of the four is chosen?

Walk first, then run. Never mind the desktop for right now.

Did you install the firmware package that I suggested in another post?

Make sure that alsa-firmware-loaders is installed. This is in "contrib";
so make sure that non-free and contrib are listed in your
/etc/apt/sources.list file. See http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
for a sample /etc/apt/sources.list file. It's at the end of "Step 1".
Then run

aptitude update
aptitude install alsa-firmware-loaders

Then shutdown and reboot. Then run

dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base
dpkg-reconfigure alsa-utils

Then shutdown and reboot again.

Then run alsamixer and check out the column names to see if PCM has shown up.
(All these commands except alsamixer must be run as root.)

Stephen,
Aptitude was updated; the alsa-firmware-loaders installed; dpkg
reconfigured alsa base and alsa utils; no PCM in alsamixer. I don't
remember saying this before, so excuse me if it is being repeated, when I
had Ubuntu 9.10 installed, there were two times that the sound worked
after I had tweaked some configuration dialog window. But that was only
in separate sessions on separate days; booting the next day each time,
there was no sound again. If I remember correctly, one of those times
involved installing Flash Player 10 and updating Opera to the new
plug-in. I don't recall if I had played any audio CD then. But something
was done that made sound work, if only for a short while. That would make
me conclude that the hardware is sufficient. Would you agree? Of course,
then I knew nothing about alsa-mixer and cannot confirm that any PCM was
listed anywhere. What would you suggest doing now?

Florian,
Sorry it took so long for me to realize I did not respond to your last
email. Here are the outputs of amixer and aplay.
dimension8400:/home/cecil# amixer
Simple mixer control 'Line in',0
Capabilities: cvolume
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 255
Front Left: Capture 207 [81%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 207 [81%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
Capabilities: cvolume
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 255
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [-99999.99dB]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [-99999.99dB]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
Capabilities: cvolume
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 255
Front Left: Capture 207 [81%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 207 [81%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Center/LFE',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Front',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Rear',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Unknown',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 247 [97%] [10.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 247 [97%] [10.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
Capabilities: cvolume
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 255
Front Left: Capture 207 [81%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 207 [81%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Center/LFE',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Front',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Rear',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Side',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Source',0
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'Phone' 'Mic' 'Line in' 'Aux'
Item0: 'Line in'
Simple mixer control 'CAPTURE feedback',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [12.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Digital Source',0
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'IEC958 out' 'i2s mixer out' 'IEC958 in' 'i2s in' 'AC97 in' 'SRC
out'
Item0: 'i2s in'
Simple mixer control 'Shared Mic/Line in',0
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'Line in' 'Mic in'
Item0: 'Line in'

dimension8400:/home/cecil# aplay -l
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 0: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 1: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 2: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 3: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:55:27 -0500 (EST), Cecil Knutson wrote:
> aptitude was updated; the alsa-firmware-loaders installed; dpkg
> reconfigured alsa base and alsa utils; no PCM in alsamixer.
> What would you suggest doing now?

I'm afraid I'm stumped, Cecil. I've never seen this before.
Every sound chip I've ever used had a PCM device in alsamixer.
What happens when you try to play a .wav file using the aplay
command? Do you get any error messages?

At this point, the only thing I can suggest is to install Squeeze
instead of Lenny and hope that the problem is fixed with newer
drivers. Lenny is getting a bit long in the tooth. It was
frozen in August of 2008. But then again, if your sound card
is significantly older than that ...

Maybe someone else on the list has some more ideas. I've
run out. Sorry I couldn't help you.