From: Cecil Knutson on
John,
> The standard pc partition scheme allows either four primary partitions
> or three primaries and one extended. This limitation is imposed by the
> scheme, not by Windows or Linux. An extended partition can contain any
> number of logical partitions but Linux can only address a total of 63
> partitions.
Stephen is right: I have run fdisk for years on innumerable computers and
never saw provision for the creation of more than one primary partition.
So I am speaking of experience with probably the only partitioner in
common usage. I have used and am familiar with Partition Magic, so I know
there are other schemes available, but we were addressing the capabilities
of the partitioners used in the Windows installation CD/DVD and the Lenny
CD/DVDs. Besides that, how would the partitions beyond 23 be addressed by
any Windows or Linux machine, especially if you have several USB drive
ports and one or more CD/DVD drives? And what system would anyone have
that could handle more than 26 drives? Wow! just think of having 63 1.5TB
drives! Oooola.

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:38:41 -0500 (EST), Cecil Knutson wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> In that case, are you sure I can't talk you into trying a newer kernel
>> from backports?
>
> Sure, you can talk me into it, if you will also talk me through it. It is
> another procedure that is completely new to me.

A similar procedure is covered on my web site,
http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm. On that web page, I talk about
installing the Adobe Flash Player from backports.org. It's under the
heading "Web Browsing". Follow the procedure for installing
flashplugin-nonfree, except that the package name will change from
flashplugin-nonfree to the name of the kernel you want to install. I'm sorry,
but I don't remember if you have a 32-bit machine or a 64-bit machine.
I'm guessing that you have a 32-bit machine and that your kernel version
is 2.6.26-2-686. (You can verify that by issuing the command
"uname -r".) If that is the case, the equivalent package name you want from
backports is linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.2-686. Substitute that name instead
of flashplugin-nonfree in the "aptitude -t lenny-backports install ..." command.
Start the procedure with the second paragraph under "Web Browsing", which
starts with "The final compromise ...".

> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Or you can try installing Linux on one of those other machines, with or
>> without wiping Windows.
>
> I found out that another machine does have SATA controllers, so it would
> be the obvious choice for just swapping the HD out of the Dimension 8400.
> Does that make sense?

Yes, but if you install the hard drive in another machine I would recommend
a re-install from scratch, with a format of the Linux partitions.
Too many things are changing at once. Also, there is sometimes a "hidden
partition" on the hard drive with machine-specific stuff on it. You might
check your hardware documentation to see if there is a special procedure
for replacing the hard drive that involves copying a system partition or
something like that.

> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Or you can break down, crack that wallet open, and buy a sound card, not
>> knowing if it will work either. If you buy one, buy an old one that
>> isn't driven by the driver that doesn't work for your sound card or the
>> blacklisted one.

> Already found someone who has a bedroom full of salvaged computer parts.
> My brother will see if he has one or two sound cards.

That's an option too. So you have a decision to make.

Cecil Knutson writes:
> I have run fdisk for years on innumerable computers and never saw
> provision for the creation of more than one primary partition. So I
> am speaking of experience with probably the only partitioner in common
> usage. I have used and am familiar with Partition Magic, so I know
> there are other schemes available, but we were addressing the
> capabilities of the partitioners used in the Windows installation
> CD/DVD and the Lenny CD/DVDs.

I have been installing Debian with multiple primary partitions since
Buzz.

> Besides that, how would the partitions beyond 23 be addressed by any
> ... Linux machine,

Partitions are numbered.

> ...especially if you have several USB drive ports and one or more
> CD/DVD drives? And what system would anyone have that could handle
> more than 26 drives? Wow! just think of having 63 1.5TB drives!

You confound partitions and drives. A partition is a subdivision of a
drive.
--
John Hasler

John,
> I have been installing Debian with multiple primary partitions since
> Buzz.
It was never a question of Debian creating more than one primary
partition. I've known that since Potato.

>> Besides that, how would the partitions beyond 23 be addressed by any
>> ... Linux machine,
>
> Partitions are numbered.
Cool. But how are the mount points handled with that many partitions?

> You confound partitions and drives. A partition is a subdivision of a
> drive.
No, I am fully aware of the difference, have been for years, just getting
off on the thought of having that many drives in one box, and the news
that Linux can address 63 partitions. I haven't seen any MB's with that
many controllers but the future is not here yet. 63! I may just have to
try the HD in the Dimension 8400 in the Fujitsu machine I have to see if
Lenny will configure all its components, including the on-board sound
chip. If it works, I would be tempted to put Lenny on the 1.5TB drive
instead of the 160GB drive it is on now.

On 10-03-02 01:26:39, Cecil Knutson wrote:
> ...and the news that Linux can address 63 partitions. ...

Modern kernels use SCSI emulation for ATA and are restricted to 16
partitions per drive, so don't go wild here. (LVM is not affected.)
The reduced limit has been a problem for some Fedora users.