From: nospam on
In article <htuke8$2e9$1(a)lust.ihug.co.nz>, Your Name
<your.name(a)isp.com> wrote:

> That's more because pretty much all the other tablets have been clunky, slow
> devices running a desktop OS and desktop software - that simply doesn't
> work, whether using your fingers or a stylus.

exactly.

> The iPad is and always has really been a video iPod. It is not and never was
> a replacement for a laptop computer, but far too many people are stupidly
> thinking it is

it's more than a video ipod, but yes, people compare it to a laptop,
which it isn't.

> Apple rarely gets it completely wrong, and when they (supposedly) do it's
> really a matter of mis-timing, e.g. the Newton was cancelled just as
> everybody else started jumping on the PDA bandwagon.

they get a lot of things wrong. ipod hifi anyone? :) the round puck
mouse, their bluetooth adapter, the toilet seat ibook, just to name a
few.
From: nospam on
In article <0bn5065qj41ptfcpi6utakj7v2h5kpont4(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >Apple rarely gets it completely wrong, and when they (supposedly) do it's
> >really a matter of mis-timing, e.g. the Newton was cancelled just as
> >everybody else started jumping on the PDA bandwagon.
>
> Newton was canceled because Apple got it completely wrong.

nope, it was cancelled because after the apple/next buyout, apple
cancelled a *lot* of projects to focus on turning the company around.

the newton was actually reasonably successful. it may not have been the
blockbuster that palm was back then, but it was not a loss either.
From: Dennis Ferguson on
On 2010-05-30, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <1u65069v840lksrpjovrggv9s8cn62oefm(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
><jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> Tell that to those of us with Android phones that cost us less, give us
>> more, and don't limit us to AT&T. :D
>
> android phones are just catching up to iphones and the at&t exclusivity
> is going to end, probably sooner than people think.

How soon do people think AT&T exclusivity is going to end?

> android 2.2 adds tethering, something the iphone has had for a year.
> although at&t doesn't support it on the iphone, just about every other
> carrier does.

My iPhone can be tethered on about 12% of the carriers the phone
can be used with. That's "just about every other carrier"?

> all), they could disable tethering entirely. sprint has announced it's
> going to be $30/mo *more* for tethering.

Why is that surprising? That's what Verizon and AT&T charge as well
(I don't know what T-Mobile charges, it might be cheaper).

Dennis Ferguson
From: nospam on
In article <elmop-F9A6EB.18260230052010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Elmo P. Shagnasty <elmop(a)nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> > > Why would anyone rationally buy an iPad when (say) the Acer
> > > Aspire One can be had for only $200 (Newegg Memorial Day sale)?
> >
> > two entirely different products for different purposes.
>
> you know, this reminds me of the mid-90s when the small car-based "SUVs"
> were coming out--essentially the carmakers were building station wagons
> but trying to sell them to the SUV crowd, so the carmakers built them to
> look like the truck-based things and they gave these vehicles all-wheel
> drive.

it reminds me of when windows first came out and dos users said a gui
was silly, it's a toy, you can't do real work in a gui, real computer
users need a command line, i can write a super cool batch file to do
what takes you hours of mousing and clicking, blah blah blah. now those
same people use mac and windows and would never touch dos.

> John Navas represents the neanderthal viewpoint here, unwilling or
> unable to acknowledge that the newcomer might do better for some people
> than whatever it is Navas has chosen as his solution.

exactly.
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 14:50:02 -0700, John Navas
<jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 May 2010 09:02:27 +1200, "Your Name" <your.name(a)isp.com>
>wrote in <htuke8$2e9$1(a)lust.ihug.co.nz>:
>
>>Apple rarely gets it completely wrong, and when they (supposedly) do it's
>>really a matter of mis-timing, e.g. the Newton was cancelled just as
>>everybody else started jumping on the PDA bandwagon.
>
>Newton was canceled because Apple got it completely wrong.

There was more wrong than the product. Newton was originally an
internal research product, which produced quite a bit of Apple
technology in its 8 years of operation. Only when the board decided
to turn it into a marketable product, did the problems surface.

Apple had to chose between two completely different designs (Junior
and Senior) for the Newton. They picked the wrong one. I don't
recall the exact details but the story is in several books I've
read[1].
<http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?keyword=Apple%3A+The+Inside+Story+of+Intrigue>
As I recall, it was pissing match between various headstrong Apple
department heads and fiefdoms, resulting in a political rather than a
technical or marketing decision. The development took about 10 years,
which should offer a clue as to the problem. More detail:
<http://lowendmac.com/orchard/06/john-sculley-newton-origin.html>

Apple tried to bury the product by spinning off the company as Newton
Inc. When Steve Jobs returned, the company was immediately purchased
by Apple. Some of the original developers left to form Pixo, which
became the basis of the first iPod operating system. After pillaging
Pixo for everything useful, Apple sold the company to Sun Micro.

When you use an Apple iPhone or the handwriting recognition in OS/X,
please remember that it's roots are in the Apple Newton.

The Wikipedia article on the Newton is also worth reading.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_%28platform%29>

The Newton is not quite dead:
<http://code.google.com/p/einstein/>

I have two mostly working Newtons (Messagepad 110 and 120).

[1] The book is 12 years old but covers Apple before Steve Jobs quite
well. The author, Jim Carlton, was the Wall Street Journal technology
reporter assigned to cover Apple. I've now bought and loaned out 3
copies of this book and NONE of them have been returned, even when
asked. Argh.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com