From: PD on
On Jul 12, 4:25 pm, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 5:08 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > You can't explain anything can you?
>
> > Sure, I can, but why would I disgorge the contents of a book into an
> > ascii newsgroup, when it is so much more efficient, productive, and
> > appropriate if you ACTUALLY READ something?
>
> > Mike Cavedon, for a software engineer, you're awfully freakin' lazy.
>
> > I asked you a question: Would you like some recommended reading?
>
> > PD
>
> Explain the following:
>
> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/news/dark_matter_ring_featur...
>
> The above is evidence of dark matter displaced by matter.

It's certainly evidence of dark matter in the shape of a ring.
It's not evidence for any displacement at all, unless you have a
quantitative model for how that works that matches this observation.
One could just as easily say that it is evidence that dark matter
exhbits concentrations in ripples, just like air does when there is a
big noise.
Then, you see, you would have the same phenomenon being "evidence" for
two completely different explanations.
How, then, would you propose determining which of these completely
different explanations the phenomenon is REALLY evidence for, since it
can only be evidence for one at most?
This (you will catch on eventually) is the secret to doing science,
not just making stuff up that sounds plausible.

PD

From: mpc755 on
On Jul 12, 6:07 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 4:25 pm, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Sure, I can, but why would I disgorge the contents of a book into an
> > > ascii newsgroup, when it is so much more efficient, productive, and
> > > appropriate if you ACTUALLY READ something?
>
> > > Mike Cavedon, for a software engineer, you're awfully freakin' lazy.
>
> > > I asked you a question: Would you like some recommended reading?
>
> > > PD
>
> > Explain the following:
>
> >http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/news/dark_matter_ring_featur...
>
> > The above is evidence of dark matter displaced by matter.
>
> It's certainly evidence of dark matter in the shape of a ring.
> It's not evidence for any displacement at all, unless you have a
> quantitative model for how that works that matches this observation.
> One could just as easily say that it is evidence that dark matter
> exhbits concentrations in ripples, just like air does when there is a
> big noise.
> Then, you see, you would have the same phenomenon being "evidence" for
> two completely different explanations.
> How, then, would you propose determining which of these completely
> different explanations the phenomenon is REALLY evidence for, since it
> can only be evidence for one at most?
> This (you will catch on eventually) is the secret to doing science,
> not just making stuff up that sounds plausible.
>
> PD

The big noise displaces the air which causes the ripple.

Explain the following:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/news/dark_matter_ring_feature.html

From: PD on
On Jul 12, 5:18 pm, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 6:07 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Explain the following:
>
> > >http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/news/dark_matter_ring_featur....
>
> > > The above is evidence of dark matter displaced by matter.
>
> > It's certainly evidence of dark matter in the shape of a ring.
> > It's not evidence for any displacement at all, unless you have a
> > quantitative model for how that works that matches this observation.
> > One could just as easily say that it is evidence that dark matter
> > exhbits concentrations in ripples, just like air does when there is a
> > big noise.
> > Then, you see, you would have the same phenomenon being "evidence" for
> > two completely different explanations.
> > How, then, would you propose determining which of these completely
> > different explanations the phenomenon is REALLY evidence for, since it
> > can only be evidence for one at most?
> > This (you will catch on eventually) is the secret to doing science,
> > not just making stuff up that sounds plausible.
>
> > PD
>
> The big noise displaces the air which causes the ripple.

Um, no. What do you think a big noise IS exactly?

OK, so let's see, you're a QA engineer at a reputable software firm
but you don't know the basics of 7th grade science? How did you get a
college degree?

"The big noise displaces the air..." yuck, yuck.
"Matter and dark matter cannot occupy the same three dimensional
point..." yuck, yuck.

> Explain the following:

I just offered you an explanation. Now: Tell me how you would *tell*
whether your explanation or my explanation is the one that really
applies? When you can answer THAT, then you may be able to do 7th
grade science.

From: mpc755 on
On Jul 12, 6:42 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 5:18 pm, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It's certainly evidence of dark matter in the shape of a ring.
> > > It's not evidence for any displacement at all, unless you have a
> > > quantitative model for how that works that matches this observation.
> > > One could just as easily say that it is evidence that dark matter
> > > exhbits concentrations in ripples, just like air does when there is a
> > > big noise.
> > > Then, you see, you would have the same phenomenon being "evidence" for
> > > two completely different explanations.
> > > How, then, would you propose determining which of these completely
> > > different explanations the phenomenon is REALLY evidence for, since it
> > > can only be evidence for one at most?
> > > This (you will catch on eventually) is the secret to doing science,
> > > not just making stuff up that sounds plausible.
>
> > > PD
>
> > The big noise displaces the air which causes the ripple.
>
> Um, no. What do you think a big noise IS exactly?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_sound_work

Sound is created by the transmission of soundwaves, when the particles
hit into each other (a vibration) it makesa sound and you hear it when
it reaches your ear drums.

The particles are displaced. The displacement of the particles cause
the vibration.

> OK, so let's see, you're a QA engineer at a reputable software firm
> but you don't know the basics of 7th grade science? How did you get a
> college degree?
>
> "The big noise displaces the air..." yuck, yuck.
> "Matter and dark matter cannot occupy the same three dimensional
> point..." yuck, yuck.
>

> > Explain the following:
>
> I just offered you an explanation. Now: Tell me how you would *tell*
> whether your explanation or my explanation is the one that really
> applies? When you can answer THAT, then you may be able to do 7th
> grade science.

Your explanation was the dark matter ripple was analogous to a sound
wave which is correct.

A sound wave is caused by a displacement of particles which cause a
vibration.

From: mpc755 on
On Jul 12, 6:42 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 5:18 pm, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It's certainly evidence of dark matter in the shape of a ring.
> > > It's not evidence for any displacement at all, unless you have a
> > > quantitative model for how that works that matches this observation.
> > > One could just as easily say that it is evidence that dark matter
> > > exhbits concentrations in ripples, just like air does when there is a
> > > big noise.
> > > Then, you see, you would have the same phenomenon being "evidence" for
> > > two completely different explanations.
> > > How, then, would you propose determining which of these completely
> > > different explanations the phenomenon is REALLY evidence for, since it
> > > can only be evidence for one at most?
> > > This (you will catch on eventually) is the secret to doing science,
> > > not just making stuff up that sounds plausible.
>
> > > PD
>
> > The big noise displaces the air which causes the ripple.
>
> Um, no. What do you think a big noise IS exactly?

'Sound'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound

"Sound is a travelling wave which is an oscillation of pressure
transmitted through a solid, liquid, or gas, composed of frequencies
within the range of hearing and of a level sufficiently strong to be
heard, or the sensation stimulated in organs of hearing by such
vibrations."

'Wave'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_wave#Traveling_waves

"A wave is a disturbance that propagates (travels) through space and
time, usually by transference of energy. A mechanical wave is a wave
that propagates through a medium due to restoring forces produced upon
its deformation. For example, sound waves propagate via air molecules
bumping into their neighbors."

The disturbance is a displacement of the medium the wave propagates
through. The particles bump into their neighbors because they are
displaced.

> OK, so let's see, you're a QA engineer at a reputable software firm
> but you don't know the basics of 7th grade science? How did you get a
> college degree?
>
> "The big noise displaces the air..." yuck, yuck.
> "Matter and dark matter cannot occupy the same three dimensional
> point..." yuck, yuck.
>

> > Explain the following:
>
> I just offered you an explanation. Now: Tell me how you would *tell*
> whether your explanation or my explanation is the one that really
> applies? When you can answer THAT, then you may be able to do 7th
> grade science.

When you said the dark matter ripple is analogous to a sound wave you
were correct. A sound wave is a vibration caused by the displacement
of particles. The dark matter ripple is caused by the displacement of
dark matter by matter.

The following is evidence of dark matter displacement:

'Hubble Finds Ghostly Ring of Dark Matter'
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/news/dark_matter_ring_feature.html
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: I was wrong
Next: Prog to transform world lines?