From: JF Mezei on
Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> Mr. Jobs could certainly use that experience as a yardstick.

I disagree. Apple was in dismay, rudderless, aiming in many directions.
The licencing of MacOS was one of those directions. Just because that
action alone didn't singlehandlely save Apple and bring it back to
prominence does not mean that it was a flawed direction. There were
plenty of other flawed directions that would/could have thwarted any
positive impact the licensing decision made.

Also, the licensing issue didn't last long enough to provide an
objectively measurable metric of whether it was good or bad. Sometimes
it takes longer for things to take root.

You should note that Apple (under Jobs) did buy PowerComputing and
initially used those assets to enable the selling of custom made
computers. So Apple did see some positive out of that when you consider
that Apple now offers custom made configs on just about all their hardware.

> wasn't there at the time, he had to salvage the aftermath. Apple, Inc.
> is a *hardware company* that just happens to produce outstanding
> software that sells their hardware.

Apple is perhaps now more of a hardware design company since it
manufactures very little of its own gear anymore.

With that in mind, perhaps Jonathan Ives is the next suitor for Jobs'
job, as opposed to Schiller, Forstall or Serlet.

From: D.F. Manno on
In article <k5aZn.15197$4B7.12384(a)newsfe16.iad>,
"Dr. Tinto" <drtinto(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
> > Fred Moore <fmoore(a)gcfn.org> wrote:
> >
> >> FYI: For those of you who don't read Macintouch regularly, there was an
> >> interesting post by Ishan Bhattacharya in the iPhone 4 forum
> >> <http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/iphone4/index.html#d07jul2010>.
> >> The notable quote is:
> >>
> >> 'The photos of him with Medvedev shows a very sick man (I'm a physician
> >> familiar with end-of-life issues, but it doesn't require an MD to see
> >> the pronounced muscle wasting apparent).'
> >
> > Oh please. I don't care who he is, he can't tell much at all from a
> > single photo.
>
> From your emphatic response, I can tell you know very little of the Medical
> profession. One picture is worth a thousand words. Comparing two photos is
> more like a geometric projection. Several years photos paint a very
> accurate picture. That coupled with Jobs irrational behavior lately only
> adds to the mix. And leads to a conclusion.

You mean like Sen. Bill Frist, M.D., who said he could tell from a video
tape that Terri Schiavo was not in a persistent vegetative state, that
she "seems to respond to visual stimuli"? A month later, the autopsy
showed that half her brain was gone, and what was left was irreversibly
damaged in all its regions, including the one responsible for vision.

--
D.F. Manno
dfmanno(a)mail.com
From: Leonard Blaisdell on
In article <4c354da5$0$4824$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> wrote:

> You should note that Apple (under Jobs) did buy PowerComputing and
> initially used those assets to enable the selling of custom made
> computers. So Apple did see some positive out of that when you consider
> that Apple now offers custom made configs on just about all their hardware.

I don't think Mr. Jobs ever walked away from any corporate experience
that he didn't learn from. Obviously, I'm a fan.

> Apple is perhaps now more of a hardware design company since it
> manufactures very little of its own gear anymore.

I just read a fascinating article by Andy Grove tonight. Here it is.
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_28/b4186048358596.htm?ca
mpaign_id=rss_topStories>. This isn't just an Apple story.

> With that in mind, perhaps Jonathan Ives is the next suitor for Jobs'
> job, as opposed to Schiller, Forstall or Serlet.

May it take a long time for us to see.

leo
From: JF Mezei on
Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> I just read a fascinating article by Andy Grove tonight. Here it is.
> <http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_28/b4186048358596.htm?ca
> mpaign_id=rss_topStories>. This isn't just an Apple story.

Many thanks for the link. Very good article.
From: XX on

"D.F. Manno" <dfmanno(a)mail.com> wrote in message
> In article <k5aZn.15197$4B7.12384(a)newsfe16.iad>,
> "Dr. Tinto" <drtinto(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

>> > Oh please. I don't care who he is, he can't tell much at all from a
>> > single photo.
>>
>> From your emphatic response, I can tell you know very little of the
>> Medical
>> profession. One picture is worth a thousand words. Comparing two photos
>> is
>> more like a geometric projection. Several years photos paint a very
>> accurate picture. That coupled with Jobs irrational behavior lately only
>> adds to the mix. And leads to a conclusion.
>
> You mean like Sen. Bill Frist, M.D., who said he could tell from a video
> tape that Terri Schiavo was not in a persistent vegetative state, that
> she "seems to respond to visual stimuli"? A month later, the autopsy
> showed that half her brain was gone, and what was left was irreversibly
> damaged in all its regions, including the one responsible for vision.

So what does that supposedly prove? That you're not in the medical field?
The brain has the capability of re-shunting neural pathways. It happens
every day. Stick to what you know best, nothing.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Software sound booster?
Next: Mac in 2 minutes