From: Priam on
On 07/07/2010 10:10 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article<4c34dc46$0$16591$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,

> Mr. Jobs could certainly use that experience as a yardstick. Although he
> wasn't there at the time, he had to salvage the aftermath. Apple, Inc.
> is a *hardware company*

I couldn't agree more. For computers, Apple is a hardware company that
produces no hardware. They give contracts to the lowest bidders and,
because M&Ms are so kind, they take an additional markup of about 40% on
their dirt cheap stuff.

I really don't see why they should give up such a good rip off. Man,
it's just paradise!

> that just happens to produce outstanding
> software that sells their hardware.

As a matter of fact, when they found out they couldn't produce decent
software, they switched to FreeBSD, made it easy for non-geeks to use
and made it proprietary to sell their hardware.

From: XX on

"Steve Hix" <sehix(a)NOSPAMmac.comINVALID> wrote in message
> In article <sdfisher-8469D9.08030608072010(a)shawnews.vc.shawcable.net>,
> Steven Fisher <sdfisher(a)spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <fmoore-ABA736.14223407072010(a)mx01.eternal-september.org>,
>> Fred Moore <fmoore(a)gcfn.org> wrote:
>>
>> > 'The photos of him with Medvedev shows a very sick man (I'm a physician
>> > familiar with end-of-life issues, but it doesn't require an MD to see
>> > the pronounced muscle wasting apparent).'
>>
>> Don't forget the man is apparently an antenna expert, a PR expert, a
>> software scheduling expert, etc. too.
>
> He may not be any of the above, but he certainly has immediate access to
> any number of others who are.

And close access to a coffin also.

Rah, Rah, Rah, gooooooooooo Apple! Go, go, goooooooooooooo!!!!

Get a life, Freak.

From: JF Mezei on
D.F. Manno wrote:

> That doctors can't diagnose people based solely on photographs.

But you can notice significant weight loss beyond a healthy limit and
this is indicative that there is a problem. They can't diagnose the
problem, but can say there appears to be a problem.

I would agree that Jobs doesn't look too healthy in that picture. He
could stand to gain some weight.
From: Richard Maine on
XX <dosexes(a)dsahiuargd.net> wrote:

> Stick to what you know best, nothing.

Seldom have I seen a better example of self-referential irony.

This sentence clearly refers to things that its writer has no way of
knowing about and thus self-referentially demands that itself not be
written. :-)

Of course, one doesn't generally expect discourse at the level of
playground taunts to be self consistent.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Jochem Huhmann on
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> writes:

> D.F. Manno wrote:
>
>> That doctors can't diagnose people based solely on photographs.
>
> But you can notice significant weight loss beyond a healthy limit and
> this is indicative that there is a problem. They can't diagnose the
> problem, but can say there appears to be a problem.
>
> I would agree that Jobs doesn't look too healthy in that picture. He
> could stand to gain some weight.

You know he had pancreatic cancer in 2004 and had a
Pancreaticoduodenectomy in July 2004?

From Wikipedia:
"It consists of removal of the distal half of the stomach (antrectomy),
the gall bladder and its cystic duct (cholecystectomy), the common bile
duct (choledochectomy), the head of the pancreas, duodenum, proximal
jejunum, and regional lymph nodes. Reconstruction consists of attaching
the pancreas to the jejunum (pancreaticojejunostomy) and attaching the
hepatic duct to the jejunum (hepaticojejunostomy) to allow digestive
juices and bile respectively to flow into the gastrointestinal tract and
attaching the stomach to the jejunum (gastrojejunostomy) to allow food
to pass through."

Yeah, Jobs could stand to gain some weight. May be hard to manage though
after such a major replumbing of his guts.

Anyway, I haven't seen many "terminally-ill cancer patients" jumping
around on a stage for one and a half hours lately. He's surely not a
healthy man and the mean survival time after a liver transplant (he got
that in 2009) is about five years. Still, this doesn't need to mean he's
dying. Or, he's dying since about six years now and doing quite fine for
that. To quote himself: "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated".

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."