From: nospam on
In article <husm99$ijm$1(a)lust.ihug.co.nz>, Your Name
<your.name(a)isp.com> wrote:

> Yep. I've still got Think Pascal (the last version of Lightspeed Pascal
> which Symantec renamed and then killed off) installed on my PowerMac.
> Symantec used to have it on their website as a free download - it's no
> longer there, but you can get it elsewhere. I wish they'd make a Mac OS X
> version. :-(

i seem to recall think pascal (and think c if i'm not mistaken) as not
working all that well on powerpc, especially with fat binaries.

codewarrior was *so* much better than think c/pascal. xcode is awful in
comparison, and about to get worse.
From: Your Name on

"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <husm99$ijm$1(a)lust.ihug.co.nz>, Your Name
> <your.name(a)isp.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yep. I've still got Think Pascal (the last version of Lightspeed Pascal
> > which Symantec renamed and then killed off) installed on my PowerMac.
> > Symantec used to have it on their website as a free download - it's no
> > longer there, but you can get it elsewhere. I wish they'd make a Mac OS
> > version. :-(
>
> i seem to recall think pascal (and think c if i'm not mistaken) as not
> working all that well on powerpc, especially with fat binaries.
>
> codewarrior was *so* much better than think c/pascal. xcode is awful in
> comparison, and about to get worse.

Lightspeed / Think Pascal is probably THE best programming environment I've
used (and there's been of lots of them). I briefly tried CodeWarrior, but it
was too messy / awkward, so I went back to Think Pascal. FileMaker Pro has a
nice programming environment, but the point 'n' click gets tidious on long
coding tasks.

The updated Think Pascal works OK on my beige G3, although it probably
doesn't have all the libraries to access new features of OS 8 and OS 9 nor
make FAT Binaries. My original install was one that had the "System 7" logo
on the box, but it's had a couple of updaters since then which may have
fixed problems with later machines / OSes.

The website to download the Think Pascal files is
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~ingemar/tp45d4/think.html

From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 18:47:41 -0700, John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:24:06 -0700, in
><2iq706dj0eehaq7d3jaq9o5le5us6almrd(a)4ax.com>, Jeff Liebermann
><jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:
>
>>Speaking of conservative, I still use vi to edit my code.
>
>No offense, but YUCK! Try VEDIT.

I should have said that I use a vi mutation. I use VIM, Unix vedit,
MKS Toolbox vi, and some standalone clones that I found/stole from
somewhere. Fortunately, I'm not much of a programmist, so there's no
need for efficiency. I don't have a vi clone for my iPod Touch mostly
because I haven't found a need for one.
<http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ViFamily>

>>I still
>>can't debug well on the screen. ...
>
>I couldn't work effectively without a visual debugger.

That's the difference between us. I don't program much, so I don't
need an efficient work environment. Something familiar, like vi, is
sufficient for me.

>>Old habits die hard.
>
>For some. Not for all. ;)

Really? In the next decade or so, we're probably going to drift into
all manner of user interface changes. There will be 3D displays,
facial recognition, avatars, interactive speech, virtual reality,
immersive environments, implants, wearable computers, and possibly
direct brain stimulation. Instead of sitting in front of the computah
with a keyboard mouse and monitor, or carrying a toy computer, you'll
become part of the machinery. Much of the technology exists today,
but we'll have to wait for the current generation of dinosaurs to die
off before any of it will be generally accepted. I'll probably live
long enough to have problems with the transition. No doubt, the
younger users will not have any difficulties adapting.

Worse, the rate of change will accelerate. The high fashion computer
interface will probably change every few years as it currently does
with cell phones. With an average lifetime of about 18 months for a
typical cell phone, Joe Sixpack has to learn a new set of features
every few years. He has adapted quite nicely by simply ignoring all
the fancy features and functions, and just learning the minimal
basics. It would be amusing (to me) to watch him try to operate a
phone without a keypad. The technology is ready, but is the user
ready?

Flame Bait:
Usability expert faults iPad user interface, calls it "whacky"
<http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/Usability-expert-faults-iPad-user-interface-calls-it-whacky/1273592091>
<http://www.nngroup.com/reports/mobile/ipad/>

Topic Drift:
Mobile LCD and OLED Display Shoot-Out
<http://www.displaymate.com/mobile.html>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:18:03 -0400, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <tf53161p455ohvjues5ni4vl07h11pn2ej(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
><jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> The Mac was just a cheap copy of the Lisa,
>> which was just a cheap copy of the Xerox Alto.
>
>nonsense. mac os was very different than lisa os and lisa os was very
>different than the xerox alto and star. apple made dramatic
>improvements to what xerox had (and i used to use a xerox star too).

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lisa>
The Lisa wasn't really useful until it was able to run MacOS software
using the MacWorks emulator:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacWorks_XL>
I don't recall doing anything useful with the Lisa Office System.

I've owned and worked on several Lisa computers, including two that
ran SCO Lisa Xenix 3.0. Those ran an NC/CAD system at a machine shop
well into the 1990's when I couldn't find any more ancient 10 MByte
ST-506 HDA cans that worked. (Yes, that's a 10 Megabyte hard disk
drive).

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:13:52 -0400, in
<110620100013521171%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> >that's because you run anti-virus software, and have told others how
>> >foolish it is not to do so.
>>
>> It's mostly because I practice "safe computing".
>
>most people don't. they'll happily click on links or run attachments.

A problem on *any* platform able to install executable code.

--
Best regards,
John

If the iPhone and iPad are really so impressive,
then why do iFans keep making excuses for them?