From: John Navas on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 00:16:10 -0700, in
<michelle-33598D.00161031052010(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Michelle
Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

>In article
><your.name-3105101613460001(a)203-109-170-215.dial.dyn.ihug.co.nz>,
> your.name(a)isp.com (Your Name) wrote:
>
>> > What actually eventually succeeded was netbooks, which had nothing to
>> > do with things Apple.
>>
>> Netbooks are nothing to do with PDAs, Newtons nor iPads.
>
>Not only that, but netbooks are cannibalizing sales from laptops, and with
>their lower margins, are reducing profits from the companies that sell both.

Netbooks actually expanded the market.
Notebooks (not laptops) are still doing fine.
It's desktops (mostly towers) that are getting canabalized.

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
John FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: nospam on
In article <hu4316p4boi82uc6cbk2p6t83n9cu3a37v(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >This clapped out Windows 2000 computer gets something almost every week, and
> >that's with a so-called "anti-virus" program running ... and even when you
> >run scan from various software the malware isn't spotted or removed.
>
> Then something is wrong with your computer.
> Mine haven't gotten anything is years.

you're the exception. there is a lot of windows malware out there
affecting millions and millions of users.

sometimes it even comes where you least expect it, from the computer
maker themselves:

<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/title/2203?p=2203>

Computer maker Lenovo is shipping a malware-infected software package
to Windows XP users, according to warning from anti-virus researchers
at Microsoft.
From: nospam on
In article <c25316h2hki2vsshehhilb8do6qrfg15p1(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> I have Windows machines connected to the Internet and to other data
> >> sources, and I'm totally free of malware, so what you write simply
> >> cannot be true.
> >
> >that's because you run anti-virus software, and have told others how
> >foolish it is not to do so.
>
> It's mostly because I practice "safe computing".

most people don't. they'll happily click on links or run attachments.

<http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=9063>

In the survey, half of users said they had opened spam, clicked on a
link in spam, opened a spam attachment, replied or forwarded it �
activities that leave consumers susceptible to fraud, phishing,
identity theft and infection.
From: nospam on
In article <9e53165rbq2ldp182ffk025uvv7p8uioos(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >mobile devices *will* be the future, whether it's an ipad or something
> >else.
>
> Sure. Most computers are now "mobile devices".

in the sense that they have a battery yes, but not in the sense of
being easy to carry and use anywhere. a 5 pound laptop is not as mobile
as a smartphone
From: nospam on
In article <tf53161p455ohvjues5ni4vl07h11pn2ej(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> The Mac was just a cheap copy of the Lisa,
> which was just a cheap copy of the Xerox Alto.

nonsense. mac os was very different than lisa os and lisa os was very
different than the xerox alto and star. apple made dramatic
improvements to what xerox had (and i used to use a xerox star too).