From: Char Jackson on
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 13:57:24 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <hu3isv$5v0$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>, alexd
><troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > the vast majority of iphone users do not jailbreak. claiming that
>> > someone can tether to at&t when most users can't is misleading.
>>
>> Would that be more or less misleading than claiming developers are
>> end-users?
>
>they are end users.

How can they be end users for a product that hasn't been released yet?

Hint: they can't, and they aren't. They are simply developers at this
point.

From: John Navas on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 09:24:42 -0500, in
<jollyroger-D7353F.09244231052010(a)news.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

>In article <HIHMn.56618$HG1.4676(a)newsfe21.iad>,
> Todd Allcock <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:
>
>> Every one of my
>> Windows machines is protected, and I can count on one hand the number of
>> detected threats I've hit in the last couple of years.
>
>Meanwhile, I don't have to count at all with my Mac, because there have
>been exactly ZERO for the past 12 years.

That you know of.

--
Best regards,
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:24:43 +1200, in <hu19b9$jps$1(a)lust.ihug.co.nz>,
"Your Name" <your.name(a)isp.com> wrote:

>"Jolly Roger" <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote in message
>> In article <HIHMn.56618$HG1.4676(a)newsfe21.iad>,
>> Todd Allcock <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Every one of my
>> > Windows machines is protected, and I can count on one hand the number of
>> > detected threats I've hit in the last couple of years.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I don't have to count at all with my Mac, because there have
>> been exactly ZERO for the past 12 years.
>
>In all my Mac usage since the very first model, a virus has been detected
>exactly once ... and that was on a floppy disk from a Windows user. :-)

Makes no sense -- Windows virus won't infect Mac (and vice versa). ;)

>> In contrast, I have lost count (it's around 6, 7, 8, 9, was it 10? Hmmm,
>> maybe I need another hand to count!) how many times the corporate
>> Windows network of my employer has been attacked by Windows-only
>> viruses, worms and so on in that same period of time.
>
>This clapped out Windows 2000 computer gets something almost every week, and
>that's with a so-called "anti-virus" program running ... and even when you
>run scan from various software the malware isn't spotted or removed.

Then something is wrong with your computer.
Mine haven't gotten anything is years.

>In
>fact, the only product I've found so far that actually does what it says on
>the tin, find and remove malware, is called "Unhackme".

I use and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
John FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: John Navas on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 22:39:19 -0700, in
<300520102239198779%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>In article <7ci606h5hucmoa7h9fsi759uilslbh8f1j(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
><jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >The only way to be malware free is to not use Windows at all, or not have
>> >the computer ever connected to an outside data source (no Internet, no CDs
>> >/ DVDs, no floppy disks, etc.).
>>
>> I have Windows machines connected to the Internet and to other data
>> sources, and I'm totally free of malware, so what you write simply
>> cannot be true.
>
>that's because you run anti-virus software, and have told others how
>foolish it is not to do so.

It's mostly because I practice "safe computing".

From: John Navas on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 18:25:59 +1200, in <htvkm9$ki9$1(a)lust.ihug.co.nz>,
"Your Name" <your.name(a)isp.com> wrote:

>"Walter Bushell" <proto(a)panix.com> wrote in message
>> In article <htukm9$2e9$2(a)lust.ihug.co.nz>,
>> "Your Name" <your.name(a)isp.com> wrote:
>>
>> > "John Navas" <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> > You can get a real keyboard for the iPad - both from Apple and evidently
>> > most USB keyboards via the camera adapter ... BUT the iPad is not a
>> > computer, never was, never will be.

>> > You'd buy the iPad just to escape Windoze hell. :-)
>>
>> To escape Windows Hell, Linux is a decent alternative.
>
>That's like saying a Skoda is an alternative to a Hyundai ... well, it is,
>but who wants either of them when you can have a Honda for a few dollars
>more. ;-)

My Hyundai is better than a Honda.