From: John Navas on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 23:48:46 -0700, in
<300520102348468822%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>In article <michelle-1D7EDD.19233930052010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:
>
>> > it reminds me of when windows first came out and dos users said a gui
>> > was silly, it's a toy, you can't do real work in a gui, real computer
>> > users need a command line, i can write a super cool batch file to do
>> > what takes you hours of mousing and clicking, blah blah blah. now those
>> > same people use mac and windows and would never touch dos.
>>
>> I had an instructor in 1988 who was dissing the Mac's trashcan as being
>> stupid because people should know how to spell "delete".
>
>i remember people asking me how many columns the original mac screen
>had. i said there were no columns, the number of characters per line
>varied because almost all fonts were proportional. it all depends what
>letters and fonts were used, and what sizes.
>
>quite a few people (mainly geeks) did not understand why that was a
>huge step forward or what it meant for users. i even had to explain
>what fonts were to a few people.
>
>if it wasn't 80x24 or 132x24 of a fixed size amber or green letters, it
>was a toy and they weren't interested.
>
>some people just don't get it.

Or where it came from: Xerox Alto. ;)

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
John FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:24:06 -0700, in
<2iq706dj0eehaq7d3jaq9o5le5us6almrd(a)4ax.com>, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:

>Speaking of conservative, I still use vi to edit my code.

No offense, but YUCK! Try VEDIT.

>I still
>can't debug well on the screen. ...

I couldn't work effectively without a visual debugger.

>Old habits die hard.

For some. Not for all. ;)

From: John Navas on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:40:34 -0700, in
<310520101040349085%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>In article <2iq706dj0eehaq7d3jaq9o5le5us6almrd(a)4ax.com>, Jeff
>Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:
>
>> Yep. Computer users are VERY conservative and difficult to change. At
>> the time, there were 3 basic types of word processors. The mouse
>> driven variety, as exemplified by MacWrite, the function key driven
>> variety, as in WordPerfect, and the control-key flavor, as found in
>> Wordstar. I found that I could move a customer from one word
>> processor to another as long as I stayed within the interface that
>> they were familiar with using. However, moving from a keyboard
>> intensive word processor, to a mouse driven flavor, was almost
>> impossible.
>
>things never change. people have problems understanding the transition
>from mouse/keyboard interfaces on a mac or pc to touch based interfaces
>on an ipad.
>
>mobile devices *will* be the future, whether it's an ipad or something
>else.

Sure. Most computers are now "mobile devices".

From: John Navas on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 11:39:45 -0700, in
<michelle-D47B08.11394531052010(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Michelle
Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

>In article <2iq706dj0eehaq7d3jaq9o5le5us6almrd(a)4ax.com>,
> Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:

>> Apple also didn't seem to consider this a problem.
>
>That's because that wasn't Apple's target market for the Macintosh.

That's the usual Apple copout, which has cost it dearly many times in
the past.

>> >Oh yeah, they insisted on amber (first choice) or green (reluctant
>> >second choice).
>>
>> Yep. Computer users are VERY conservative and difficult to change.
>
>Most of them were first-time buyers who had been told what to look for by
>self-proclaimed "experts" or by computer magazines that published those
>criteria before the Mac was introduced.

The Mac was just a cheap copy of the Lisa,
which was just a cheap copy of the Xerox Alto.

From: John Navas on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 13:57:58 +1200, in
<your.name-0106101357580001(a)203-109-168-122.dial.dyn.ihug.co.nz>,
your.name(a)isp.com (Your Name) wrote:

>In article <michelle-FA0D59.15112831052010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:
>
>> In article <kk9806lb0pqmfkh6a3brvhfmf94js0inje(a)4ax.com>,
>> Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Incidentally, I got a bit of a surprise when I plugged a 3 button PC
>> > mouse into my antique Mac Cube running OS/X 10.4.xx. The right button
>> > worked as expected (show options) as did the roller (scroll up/down).
>> > This was a pleasant surprise after living with only one button for so
>> > long.
>>
>> Mac OS X has always supported two-button mice. Some earlier versions of
>> Mac OS also supported them as well.
>
>Any Mac could probably support a two / multi-button mouse if the company
>selling the device wanted to write driver software ... but the point is
>that the Mac doesn't need a two button mouse. Personally I very rarely had
>any need for more than one button.

"It's not a limitation, it's a feature!" :)