From: Thomas T. Veldhouse on
In alt.cellular.verizon John Navas <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Irrelevant: prototype, not released, and nothing to do with the OS.
>
> "Stay on target, Luke, stay on target!"

Funny, considering you are one to often divert attention from the target.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.
From: Thomas T. Veldhouse on
In alt.cellular.verizon Justin <nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:
> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote on [25 May 2010 21:36:29 GMT]:
>> In alt.cellular.verizon John Navas <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In due course it will be, whatever OS 4.0 actually is, not the current
>>> vaporware.
>>
>> It's not vaporware; it has been anounced by Apple. Vaporware defines the
>> rumor of software, but OS 4.0 is no rumor.
>
> Um, until it makes it to the consumer it is not released. Vaporware is
> software or hardare that is announced but never released. Plenty
> of vaporware has "shipped" to developers and review units.

No, that is not what vaporware is.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vaporware

Computer Slang. a product, esp. software, that is promoted or marketed while
it is still in development and that may never be produced.

There is no "may" about it; OS4.0 will be produced and released. Vaporware,
as an example, is TiVo for Comcast [nationwide] and TiVo for DirecTV
[nationwide]. Both have been announced for a long time and the scheduled
release date slips ... in the case of Comcast by many many years now.

From: Paul Miner on
On 26 May 2010 14:17:04 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>In alt.cellular.verizon Paul Miner <pminer(a)elrancho.invalid> wrote:
>> On 25 May 2010 21:36:29 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>It's not vaporware; it has been anounced by Apple. Vaporware defines the
>>>rumor of software, but OS 4.0 is no rumor.
>>
>> Not true. Announcements certainly qualify as vaporware, although I
>> understand in this case something has actually shipped (to
>> developers).
>>

>Actual release announcements are not vaporware;

Actually, announcements are the epitome of vaporware. Nearly all
vaporware starts with an announcement. A software product stops being
vaporware when it actually becomes available. Announcements !=
available.

--
Paul Miner
From: Paul Miner on
On 26 May 2010 14:25:06 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>In alt.cellular.verizon Justin <nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:
>> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote on [25 May 2010 21:36:29 GMT]:

>>> It's not vaporware; it has been anounced by Apple. Vaporware defines the
>>> rumor of software, but OS 4.0 is no rumor.
>>
>> Um, until it makes it to the consumer it is not released. Vaporware is
>> software or hardare that is announced but never released. Plenty
>> of vaporware has "shipped" to developers and review units.
>
>No, that is not what vaporware is.
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vaporware
>
>Computer Slang. a product, esp. software, that is promoted or marketed while
>it is still in development and that may never be produced.
>
>There is no "may" about it; OS4.0 will be produced and released. Vaporware,
>as an example, is TiVo for Comcast [nationwide] and TiVo for DirecTV
>[nationwide]. Both have been announced for a long time and the scheduled
>release date slips ... in the case of Comcast by many many years now.

I guess the part about being "promoted or marketed while it is still
in development" escaped you. Did you read what you copied/pasted?

--
Paul Miner
From: Justin on
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote on [26 May 2010 14:25:06 GMT]:
> In alt.cellular.verizon Justin <nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:
>> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote on [25 May 2010 21:36:29 GMT]:

>>> It's not vaporware; it has been anounced by Apple. Vaporware defines the
>>> rumor of software, but OS 4.0 is no rumor.
>>
>> Um, until it makes it to the consumer it is not released. Vaporware is
>> software or hardare that is announced but never released. Plenty
>> of vaporware has "shipped" to developers and review units.
>
> No, that is not what vaporware is.
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vaporware
>
> Computer Slang. a product, esp. software, that is promoted or marketed while
> it is still in development and that may never be produced.
>
> There is no "may" about it; OS4.0 will be produced and released. Vaporware,
> as an example, is TiVo for Comcast [nationwide] and TiVo for DirecTV
> [nationwide]. Both have been announced for a long time and the scheduled
> release date slips ... in the case of Comcast by many many years now.

TiVo has been available on DirecTV for years and years, it's been pulled but it was released.

Until something is released it is vaporware. That's how it goes.

vaporware ( ) n. New software that has been announced or marketed but has not been produced.